Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Word for Mac, how do macros work?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 MaryBet82

MaryBet82

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 11 July 2010 - 12:52 PM

I'm hoping to switch from windows to a mac. I use Word and I customize my toolbars and record macros. I've been hoping to eventually be able to understand visual basic enough to write my own macros. Does Word for mac allow customization and macros? Can you use visual basic to write Word macros?
mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 11 July 2010 - 09:24 PM

I believe you can use macros on a mac but I understand that I don't think you can write them with visual basic. As I sit here at my mac and look at word it looks as though you can use them but as i said you cant use visual basic on a mac unless you want to run boot camp. :blink: I would wait till someone else can give you a little more accurate to advise you.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#3 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 693 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 12 July 2010 - 06:08 AM

From a quick google search I found that the latest version of Office for Mac doesn't support visual basics and according to MS it will be supported in the next version.
NeoOffice does have experimental support for VBA.
http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?n...cle&sid=116
NeoOffice latest version is at 3.1.1 now.
http://trinity.neooffice.org/rdf-nuke.php?...00&tid=4975

#4 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:10 AM

Thanks to computerxpds and Buddyme2 and good luck to computerxpds on his malware removal training.

I should have said in my original message that I'm still using Word 2003. I wondered if Word for Mac was based on 2003 or 7 or something completely different.

I read about Word/Office 7 and apparently toolbars have been replaced by ribbons and customization by MS deciding what you'll most likely use. That never works for me - MS and I are definitely from different planets or galaxies or realities. Word is the only MS program I've preferred over an alternative option. I would already have a Mac, but the program I use most is Word w/ its macros and the 3rd program [after firefox] is PaperPort, which doesn't have a version for Mac.

I use Open Office Calc but didn't switch to the word processor due to its lack of customization/macros. I hadn't heard of NeoOffice. I'd like to try out the program but I don't want to install/uninstall on this computer until I've gotten its replacement. My backup computer is currently blue-screening. If I get up the energy to troubleshoot the thinkpad and get it back to booting into windows I'll try NeoOffice on it. And Pagemaster, which says it has a descew option. If it does and it works, then I think I can replace PaperPort w/ Pagemaster.

What word processor do most Mac users use?
mac 10.6 on macbook pro

#5 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:59 AM

Thanks to computerxpds and Buddyme2 and good luck to computerxpds on his malware removal training.
What word processor do most Mac users use?

Well Thank you much! :blink:

And I use Microsoft office 2008 and it works for me but i did notice it is a little heavy on resource usage. But other than that it works ok for what I do an im a student so.. :wacko:

Edit: Changed office 2007 to 2008 oops :)

Edited by computerxpds, 14 July 2010 - 07:22 PM.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#6 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2010 - 04:26 PM

computerxpds
Are you using MS Office 2007 on a mac in mac native mode or virtualization mode? After browsing the mac store today I thought MS Office for Mac came in 2004 and 2008. Is there an Office for Mac 2007? Does it have the option to record macros?
mac 10.6 on macbook pro

#7 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2010 - 07:20 PM

Oh Sorry about that yes i am using office 2008 sorry i was thinking about my windows machines they use office 2007 (they are different for mac than PC) and I just checked and it has preset macro commands ready to run but I dont see a record function.

sigcomp.png 

#8 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2010 - 01:24 PM

Thanks computerxpds,
I need that record macro function.
I just found out that the mac does have a virtualization mode - or rather there are two programs for mac which allow you to run windows programs in virtual mode. So theoretically I could run my word 2003 until the next version of word for mac that Buddyme2 mentioned comes out, hopefully w/ VB support & the record macros function.
Bootcamp, where you have the option of booting into windows on a mac, was an option, but I 'm trying to get away from having to constantly troubleshoot windows and scan each file for a virus when it's opened and run 3 anti-malware programs and a complicated software firewall along w/ the hardware router firewall. So I hope one of those virtualization programs works w/ word.
mac 10.6 on macbook pro

#9 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2010 - 01:29 PM

Well good luck and I bet you will enjoy a mac! I surely love mine. :blink:

sigcomp.png 

#10 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 693 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 17 July 2010 - 05:03 AM

If you can find a copy of Office 2004 Mac, it does support VBA. How it is compared with the Windows version I have no idea.

#11 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2010 - 02:03 PM

Thanks Buddyme2

I'll google for Office 2004 Mac when I get a chance and see what I find. Right now I'm snowed trying to keep a windows computer working while I research macbook pro options and which of my peripherals that lack mac drivers have workarounds on the web. Going from lemons to apples takes a lot of work.
Weird that 2008 doesn't support VB but 2004 does.
mac 10.6 on macbook pro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users