Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer makes buzzing sound and may be heating up too much

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 brc2000

brc2000

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 11 July 2010 - 12:32 PM

Hello

My problem is that my computer has been making a buzzing noise. It usually happens just at start up, but it also happens sometimes after using it for a while. I also think that the computer may be getting too hot. I never paid attention to the heat before, but it the temperature seems really high near the back and there's also a burning scent being given off. This has happened to me before on my older computer and it is usually due to a failing power supply. However I rarely had this problem with my current PC until around three weeks ago. I though that it was because the air conditioning was on a lot more than usual since we spend a lot more time at home during the summer. I think that this may have caused me problems with my system as I posted on these forums before (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/329963/xp-running-slow/?p=1832766). I just got a new hard drive installed yesterday so I don't think that ios the problem. What I want to know is if I should get my computer checked or can the buzzing noise be ignored. Is the sound normal running of the computers fan or could it mean that my power supply is failing?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 11 July 2010 - 01:00 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

Can you please discribe where exactly the buzzing sound is coming from?

Is it coming from the speakers?

Is it coming from the power supply?

You stated you smell something burning, it could be the power supply is over heating. Can you please post in this thread the output ratings of the power supply?

If you can post a picture of the inside of your computer and post the pic or link to it that would be helpful as well.

Kind regards.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 brc2000

brc2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2010 - 04:48 PM

Hmm...sorry I'm still not very familiar with the technical aspects of the computer, especially when it comes to hardware (and am afraid to open up the PC). Can you tell me how to post the output ratings.

I might post a recording of the buzzing sound if it will be useful, but I'm almost certain it's not from the speakers.

Also another problem I noticed is a sort of high pitched sound, which I'm not exactly sure is a beep from the speakers or a clicking/scratching noise from the fan or disc. This happened twice. The first time was followed by the Blue Screen and the second time it happened, the computer became unresponsive.

Edited by brc2000, 11 July 2010 - 04:49 PM.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2010 - 05:31 PM

Okay I think its time you called upon someone who would be willing to open the computer's cover and have a look inside.

Your at the least getting indications that maintenance is needed.

If you can get someone who is willing to open the computer and have you post back to us, we'll post directions on what to look for and how to resolve or correct the problem.

I believe once the case is opened there may be evidence of dust accumulation somewhere in the area of cooling fans and heat sinks.

The cooling fans help move heat away from parts found inside computers, even in a very clean environment, dust traveling through the air is sucked into computers where it gets trapped.
Eventually this dust builds up to the point where it stops the cool air from getting where it needs to go, or it traps the heat from escaping.

I believe at this point, your computer needs a bit of house cleaning.

If you can not find someone to help you, you may want to take your computer to a qualified computer repair center for diagnosis and cleaning.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 brc2000

brc2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2010 - 04:29 AM

Okay thanks. Luckily there is a repair shop in the building I stay. I thought that they would have fixed everything when they changed the hard disk. Looks like they didn't. I called them to check it again. Hopefully they'll be able to get it fixed. I don't want to have to change my hard disk after just two days of use.

Using various temperature checking tools, I found out that the hard disk isn't heating up too much, but something called AUX is. It also looks like I only have one running fan in the system.

Everything seems to be fine right now. Though I do have the air conditioner on. I'll see how long it lasts.

Edited by brc2000, 12 July 2010 - 04:52 AM.

#6 brc2000

brc2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2010 - 09:40 AM

Okay, I just had it checked and it looked like one of the capacitors got loose and the fan wasn't running properly. I got the power supply replaced. Hopefully, it'll be fine now.

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2010 - 01:02 PM

It sounds to me that you're up and running again.

That is good news!

You did the best thing by bringing it to the repair shop, there was really nothing we could help you with over the net...wish there was..maybe someday that will be possible...who knows, I've discovered many things thought impossible are in fact possible.

Isn't Science wonderful? :thumbsup:

Good luck and happy computing! :flowers:

Bruce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users