Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC keeps crashing during virus/malware scan

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 mattzeus

mattzeus

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 11 July 2010 - 12:12 PM

Hello,
I am a new member here but longtime lurker and have found many helpful hints on the forums and I have had a problem recently and wondered if anybody could help?!

Usually I have managed to keep things under control on my PC (Dell laptop running Vista) but recently something has happened that I can't seem to get hold of. My virus/spyware software that I run are Avast, Spybot, Malwarebytes and sometimes Windows Defender.
Anyway, it all began when I recently clicked on the website of one of my favourite podcasts (Mysterious universe) only to get an Avast virus/trojan warning (this has never happened before). I killed the connection but ran an Avast scan anyway. It found something so I attempted to delete it.

Next up I ran a scan with Malware Bytes which in the past I have found very good and never problematic. Anyway, it scanned the C drive and when it went into the folder C:\Windows\Installer and scanned certain files (On two occasions I noted the filenames; C:\Windows\Installer\79b0b7 and C:\Windows\Installer\79b09c.msp.), it crashed (froze completely including the mouse and clock at the corner of the screen) and the only way I could get out of it was to press the on/off button. I uninstalled and then reinstalled Malware Bytes but it happened again a few times, and on one occasion gave me the Blue Screen of Death...

I did a similar scan with Windows Defender and it also crashed in the same folder and on one of the same files; C:\Windows\Installer\79b0b7. I went into the Installer folder and right-clicked on this file to look at it's properties and it also crashed the computer.

Though this may be a corrupt or damaged file, my main concern is that the scan crashes at this point before it can do a thorough scan of my system so if there are any viruses or spyware lurking, it will crash before I get to them.

Reading up about Windows Installer I have found differing opinions of whether some of the files can be deleted from it or not.
Anyway, I am not sure what to do and worried in case I am infected with something nasty! If anyone can offer any help or advice then please let me know!

Cheers
Matt

Edited by Pandy, 11 July 2010 - 12:49 PM.
Moved from Vista to a more appropriate forum ~Pandy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users