Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Word 2003 and endnote problem

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 thedeep10

thedeep10

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 11 July 2010 - 09:08 AM

When I open Word 2003, I get a an Endnote X1 popup that says, "The specified Word library cannot be unloaded because it is in use." Thus, Endnote does not open. I had this problem sometime ago, and fixed it, but it is now back and I have forgotten what I did to fix it last time. Gotta learn to write myself notes!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thekingpin3000

thekingpin3000

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 16 August 2010 - 10:22 PM

Hi

Try this.

CWYW 48: Opening Word, the error "The specified Word library can not be unloaded because it is in use" appears, or I get an "Invalid Pointer" error message. How can I fix this?

Answer: This can happen if the EndNote tools are disabled in Word.

Word 2007:

Click on the Office icon and select "Word Options."
Click on "Add-ins."
Change the "Manage" options to "Disabled Items."
Click Go.
Highlight any EndNote item(s) and click "Enable."
Click OK.

Word 2000/2002/2003:
Click the "Help menu" and select "About Microsoft Office Word."
Click "Disabled Items."
Highlight any EndNote item(s) and click "Enable."
Click Close.
Click OK.

If prompted, select to allow the file(s) to be loaded by Word. Close and re-open Word when this is done.

If you are still getting this error message, make sure you have updated EndNote with the latest updates. The directions for installing the updates can be found here.

Once the patch has been installed, reboot your machine and do the following to configure EndNote:

Click the Start menu > Programs (or All Programs) > EndNote > Configure EndNote. Install the Cite While You Write (CWYW) tools again. When this is done, first open your EndNote library then open Word and try the tools.

If you are still getting this error message and have either Word 2002 (XP) or Word 2003, you may try the following:
Open Word 2002 (XP) or Word 2003, and go to the help menu, and run "Detect and Repair".
Check the "Discard my settings and restore default settings" button, and click ok.
Restart your computer and Click the Start menu > Programs (or All Programs) > EndNote > Configure EndNote. Install the Cite While You Write (CWYW) tools again.
First open your EndNote library then open Word and try the tools.

Source: http://www.endnote.com/support/faqs/CWYW/faq48.asp

Cheers
TKP

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users