Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pc Will Only Boot In Safe Mode....think I Goofed The Bios Somewhere

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SCFoxman

SCFoxman

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 18 October 2005 - 06:08 PM

PC was working fine, with the exception of an intermittent problem of coms loss between pc and router. Nothing major, just irritating. Thought it might have something to do with my earlier dinking with the bios, trying to tweak and obviously not correctly :thumbsup: . What could it hurt to try and undo my earlier "tweaks"? evidently a lot.

Now, the pc is only bootable in safe mode. It then leaves my usb mouse inoperable, and informs me during boot that my KB isn't found or installed. which it is and works fine for selecting bios, boot mode, OS, etc.

If I attempt to boot normally, it posts, finds the HD then only a black blank screen without any noticeable HD activity.

I can then reboot and F8 for boot options, and boot into Safe Mode where I'm able to navigate without failure via KB only.

Someone got some advice.

MOBO is an Asus A7V-266E
Chipset Amd xp 1900+
GEFORCE FX5500
Win XP Pro (sp1)

Any and all help or advice greatly appreciated. I have another comp to communicate with.

Thanks In Advance,

SCF

Edited by SCFoxman, 18 October 2005 - 06:09 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2005 - 06:15 PM

What changes did you make immediately preceding this latest event, if any?

The USB mouse may not work in safe mode, this is pretty normal, as the USB drivers may not have loaded. You will need a PS2 mouse, or at least an adaptor.

With the limited information I have, my first impression is that it may be related to a malware infection. Have you done scans with antivirus and antispyware, and if so, what did they find?

On the other working computer you have, do you have antivirus and antispyware? If so, you could remove the hard drive from the troubled computer and put it in the working computer as a slave, then run scans to see what you find.

Do you have your original Windows XP disk, or perhaps it says Recovery Disk - Operating System on it?
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 SCFoxman

SCFoxman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2005 - 06:38 PM

What changes did you make immediately preceding this latest event, if any?

The USB mouse may not work in safe mode, this is pretty normal, as the USB drivers may not have loaded. You will need a PS2 mouse, or at least an adaptor.

With the limited information I have, my first impression is that it may be related to a malware infection. Have you done scans with antivirus and antispyware, and if so, what did they find?

On the other working computer you have, do you have antivirus and antispyware? If so, you could remove the hard drive from the troubled computer and put it in the working computer as a slave, then run scans to see what you find.

Do you have your original Windows XP disk, or perhaps it says Recovery Disk - Operating System on it?

Not sure exactly what I dinked. Then I reset (F5) bios back to default, which I think seemed to fould it up further.

I often run my AV on the pc without fault, along with a reg scanner daily.

Prior to me changing the bios, I didn't have any boot probs whatsoever. Just a periodic annoyance of comms loss to the router, which most times would be remedied by either removing ethernet cable and reconnecting it, or a reboot. Always came back. I've searched high and low through the bios, but I'm probably missing something.

I don't have a xp disk nor a recovery disk. I "acquired" xp in it's infancy, so no cd.

I also restored windows to an earlier point while in Safe Mode to no avail.

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2005 - 10:00 AM

Have you tried this yet?

Without a disk we may have limited options here, unless someone else here at BC can pitch in and come up with a solution, but if you have reset the bios to the default settings, then I don't see how this is a bios problem. It has to do with your Windows installation it seems to me. A file is corrupt, or something else is stopping it from booting correctly, perhaps a driver, and not related to the bios.

Try the above first then we'll go to the next step, eh?
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users