Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

LG DVD Write Install.

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 maxson

maxson

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 10 July 2010 - 10:40 PM

can I put this dvd writer in with my HP CD writer plus 9100? the HP is the master and then I have just a toshiba dvd rom as the slave to the cd writer,these are in my nereo 6 program can I just take out the toshiba dvd rom and put in this LG dvd writer and not have any problems and can I use nero yet or will it not recognize the LG as apposed to the toshiba dvd rom can anyone help with this thank you GOD Bless.

Edited by hamluis, 26 July 2010 - 11:37 AM.
Moved from System Building to Internal Hardware ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Luke L

Luke L

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2010 - 12:09 AM

Yes, you can, if...
1) The dvd drive you are installing has a interface that your motherboard supports, such as IDE or SATA. From what you posted it sounds like you got that figured out.
2) You have enough slots of optical drives, or if you are switching them out that is not a problem.
and that's all the requirements I can think of.

It's pretty simple. You really don't even need to install drivers as Windows automatically installs them for you. The optical drives I have bought don't even have their own drivers, I guess none do, although I may be mistaken.
From my experience, if you just plug it in and windows will take care of it. I have salvaged dvd drives from broken computers and am currently using two(used to have three but the third one was IDE and very slow so I took it out).
I am guessing that Nero will have no problem recognizing it.

#3 maxson

maxson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2010 - 01:09 AM

thank you I will go ahead with this I will let you know how it goes

#4 maxson

maxson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2010 - 08:19 PM

I did try to put this writer in and I left the slave I think it was called wich was the cd writer 9100 and took out the dvd rom and put it in the lg writer where it was the dvd rom and nothing happened computer didnt recognize the new dvd writer what do I do now?shop told me bring it in they will do it for 45 bucks I should be able to install this shouldnt I?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,290 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2010 - 11:36 AM

Does your BIOS properly recognize the new drive?

As previously stated...it should be a simple addition to the system.

As for Nero recognizing it and employing it...depends.

If you are using one of the OEM versions of Nero that comes with a particular optical drive...it may not recognize the new drive.

If you have a retail version of Nero, it will have no problem recognizing a new drive.

Louis

#6 maxson

maxson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2010 - 12:04 PM

how do I know bios is recoginizing it? as for the retail version or not I am not sure I purchased this dell 4 tower from a guy in the local paper he had nero 6 on there I do have the system info log that nero runs that shows what is what I dont know sqaut about computers but I am learning alot from this site should I upload that log than maybe you can tell me what I have to do from there thanks

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,290 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2010 - 12:43 PM

How to access-enter Motherboard BIOS - http://michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

Howstuffworks How BIOS Works - http://computer.howstuffworks.com/bios.htm/printable

Louis

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 26 July 2010 - 12:50 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

Whenever a new device such as hard drives or optical drives are added to a computer, the device has to be detected by the system first and Windows second.

The system is the motherboard in general.

If the drive is the only device on the data stream cable, and the drive type is a E-IDE/PATA drive, it has to be set as a MASTER, this is done on the drive, by configuring the jumpers located on the drive to designate it as a MASTER.

Next, the drive has to be configured in the motherboard's BIOS set up utility.

This is done by watching the computer screen when the computer boots up, before the windows splash screen appears, there should be words such as press F2 to enter setup or press DELETE to enter setup press the key or series of keys it suggests.

You should now be in a screen with a series of menus on a colored back-ground.

Look for the following words. Primary master, Primary Slave, Secondary Master, Secondary Slave. You have to scroll down to each one and press the ENTER key to choose that option, once this is done, it should display a drive ID number there if a drive is on that channel, if not it will say NONE or NOT INSTALLED.

Once you have done all 4 channels, detection has been done, to complete the process, you have to save the configuration to the computer's CMOS chip, to do this you press the F10 key. (note Dell computers do this differently) when you hit the F10 key, a dialog box pops up saying the following: Save changes to CMOS and exit? Type Y for YES and the system will save the configuration and reboot.

Your drives will now be detected by Windows once it has fully booted up and detected all hardware.

Hope this helps.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 26 July 2010 - 12:54 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#9 maxson

maxson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2010 - 02:29 PM

thanks bruce I will attempt this wish me luck

#10 maxson

maxson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2010 - 02:37 PM

thank you too louis i will defintly look at these links you suggested before I attempt this one thing do I go ahead and put that dvd writer back in before i do as bruce suggested cause I took it back out and put back the dvd rom and then everything was back to normal

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,290 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2010 - 04:40 PM

In that case...are you sure that this addition you intend to make...has any life?

Louis

#12 maxson

maxson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2010 - 09:37 PM

not sure what you mean by that this addition having any life??

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,290 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2010 - 11:37 AM

Does it work?

Have you ever seen it function recently?

Louis

#14 maxson

maxson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2010 - 03:51 PM

its a brand new LG dvd writer right out of the box but the HP cd writer 9100 and the toshiba dvd rom are boyh working with nero but when I took the toshiba dvd rom out and put in the lg in its place nothing recoginzed it the HP writer is the master according to log nero runs to tell you how its set up.

#15 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 28 July 2010 - 04:36 PM

try to see is your LG reconigzed by windows or not...
if yes...try to change nero setting...

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users