Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer Ads / Microsoft Phishing Filter

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 cup t

cup t

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 09 July 2010 - 09:05 PM

Split from here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/329956/internet-explorer-ads-microsoft-phishing-filter/ ~ OB

Though I can't help and am also looking for a solution, I started experiencing the same thing yesterday also with XP and IE. Upon startup the phising filter turn on/off window pops up and I don't know why. it has the added annoyance of somehow disabling my sound card when it does that so I have no sound. If I restore to a previous point my (which I've done a dozen painstaking times so far) sound comes back though when I use IE (I am a regular Firefox user but sometimes use IE) I lose my sound card again. Also, another pop-up appears that asks if I want to make IE my default browser, which it isn't now. These are all new symptoms that started with this pop-up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm now tearing my hair out.

I have the EXACT same virus/trojan/adware thing as you. It brings up websites in IE which I don't even use, turns off my sound aswell and brings up the phishing filter thing. iexplorer is alway running in the background even if I end process it just comes up again. I've tried Avast, Malware Bytes and NOD32, they remove suspected trojans and stuff but the problem remains. I most likely got this off normal ads, probably google ads.

There was also sound playing on a loop about eyedrops when there were no programs running, and in task manager there was a program called loader.exe running, I ended the process and I haven't seen it since but I know it's still running. According to yahoo answers it's a trojan backdoor - smitfraud/zlob. I haven't found such a thing with all the scans.

Hoping I don't have to just delete everything on my hd and start fresh. That wouldn't be the end of the world cause I don't have that much valuable stuff on here, it would be worth it not to get my bank details and passwords keylogged.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 10 July 2010 - 08:42 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,993 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 AM

Posted 10 July 2010 - 08:43 PM

Hello,

Given what you've already done, please follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<== starting at Step 6.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<== Please include a description of your computer issues and what you have done to try to resolve them.

If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic and explain what happens when you try to create the log(s) that you couldn't get. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then still post the topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happens when you try to create the logs.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users