Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 95 Emulator

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 shortymac

shortymac

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 18 October 2005 - 04:43 PM

hey, i just bought fallout 1 & 2 and it won't let me install on my windows 2000 machine

i used dosbox to intstall fallout 1, but it won't let me do the humongous installation (650mbs for god's sake) and its runs pretty slow

is there any winodws 95 emulator i could use to install it on my comp
Despite many reverses, freedom has won many battles. Many died in those battles in the conviction that to die in the struggle against oppression was better than to live without freedom. Such a death is the utmost assertion of their individuality. ~ Erich Fromm

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Lanscader

Lanscader

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 18 October 2005 - 05:47 PM

I know Windows XP has an option to run a program in compatibility mode. I don't know if 2000 has it, though. If it does, it would be a tab in the properties window.

"Sir Lord Baron von Vader-han?" ~ Eddie Izzard

#3 shortymac

shortymac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2005 - 09:07 PM

there's no compatibilty mode :thumbsup:

thats whay i'm going nuts, i dont wanna upgrade to xp just yet but i want to play the older games like fallout and the original DOOM

thanks though
Despite many reverses, freedom has won many battles. Many died in those battles in the conviction that to die in the struggle against oppression was better than to live without freedom. Such a death is the utmost assertion of their individuality. ~ Erich Fromm

#4 conk

conk

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 19 October 2005 - 12:46 PM

is there not a patch or something you can download like off the site? if not i have no idea :thumbsup:
If the universe is ever expanding, what are we expanding into?

#5 Gothmog

Gothmog

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2005 - 07:46 AM

I doubt that 2000 will have a support patch since they announced that windows 2000 will be cast aside and unsupported in the near future, much like 95 and everything else in between.

How exactly does W2k not let u install those old classics, I am not familiar? I assume you are in an admin level account, does it just deny you the ability to run the setup program from the cd?

#6 shortymac

shortymac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2005 - 05:52 PM

you're correct, it doesn't let me run it from cd at all

it'll load the opening screen, but when you click install it says "fallout does not support this version of windows"

i tired looking on microsoft.com for a patch or something but to no avail, are there any freeware emulators like zsnes or DOSBOX that'll let me run it

fallout 2 wont run in dos so i'm screwed there

#7 frankie12

frankie12

• Members
  • 941 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2005 - 08:36 PM

does your computer meet the min. requirements?

#8 Gothmog

Gothmog

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2005 - 01:48 PM

!@#%^&*(
stupid quick reply... well i had written a long reply w/ suggestions for your prob, but I must have taken so long I got logged out! @$#$%.
well hte synopsis of it is.
-I don't think what you want to do is a possibility. Dosbox is emulating something too far back and win98 is too recent to have an emulator for the next gen(I think) especially since XP tried to remedy this prob w/ built in compatibility fixes.

-you could try to install 98SE on a second partition/drive and use a dual boot screen for when you need to play the older games. This assumes you still have access to win98, I have a feeling it might not work on ME b/c that dropped a lot of the Dos/win95 (which I think is causing the problem) support too.

well i gtg to class so if you are interested in dual booting post back. I or I'm sure many other people here can help. That is, of course, only if you need help ;)

-peace

#9 shortymac

shortymac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2005 - 01:07 PM

i was thinking about putting win98 on an older computer of mine but its technically my brothers computer so i'd doubt he'd go for that. He might be getting a new computer for xmas so maybe then

i've tired dual -boot before and it always gave me tons of problems

ps. im running 2000 not ME

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users