Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows (Vista) Update error 80072EFE

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TonyStarks

TonyStarks

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 10 July 2010 - 03:33 PM

Hello, I hope everyone is have a good weekend-- better than mine at least!

I'm having some problems with Windows Vista Update. Whenever I try to install updates it says: Error Found Code 80072EFE

Now, I went to do a Windows Update after having some other issues such as Internet Explorer crashing as soon as it opens. Firefox acting quite slow, and the restore session not working correctly-- when I start firefox, it gives me an "well this is embarrassing" Restore Session window which says "Firefox is having trouble recovering your windows and tabs. This is usually caused by a recently opened web page." This window is not new to me, but what is new to me, is that no matter what I do, when I push the "Restore session" button at the bottom of this window, absolutely nothing happens. The "Restore" button stays depressed for several minutes before graying out. And then that's it. I can open other Firefox windows and browse the net, but there is a noticeable performance hit.

Now, I realize that these are several different problems but I thought it important to mention it as they all started occuring at the exact same time. Everything was working fine before and then all of a sudden this morning, all of what I explained above is happening.

I guess I will mention that I did get that AV Security Suite virus a week or so ago and I did successfully remove it. Things worked fine for a week or so, until suddenly I started having the above problems. Once in a while now I also am getting random unwanted redirects-- a Firefox window suddenly opens with a link to some random search site. I don't know how this is all related but I really do need some help in untangling this mess. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I thank you all in advance for reading my post.

I hope everyone continues to have a great weekend. :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Stephan :flowers:

Edited by hamluis, 10 July 2010 - 06:38 PM.
Moved from Vista to Am I Infected ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2010 - 03:57 PM

This is an indication that your machine is not clean, not as you think it is.

Trojans and Viruses are the most stubborn pieces of code to get rid of completely and at times a full format and wipe is required to get rid of all traces of it.

Chances are very good your still infected with a variant.

Not being able to go to windows update and browser redirects are signs of a malicious program still has control over your system.

Chances are your HOSTS file has been altered as well.

You should try downloading and installing MalwareBytes and doing a full scan. http://www.malwarebytes.org/

You should most likely post to the AII section of the Bleepingcomputer forums, where trained staff will help you clean your machine at this link. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/

Good luck.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 TonyStarks

TonyStarks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2010 - 10:23 PM

MrBruce, thank you for directing me to the AII section; I will try posting there.

I appreciate your help.

Cheers,

Stephan

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2010 - 12:16 AM

You are very welcome, you are in the right hands now, the Bleepingcomputer staff are in my personal opinion, the best team on the web.
Please be patient and good luck. :thumbsup:

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 TonyStarks

TonyStarks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2010 - 10:20 PM

Quick update: Safari is now having the same exact problem as Internet Explorer. I click the icon to open it, and it immediately crashes-- the "Safari has stopped working . . windows is searching for a solution to the problem" . .

It worked fine for a couple of days-- I started using it because of the problems with my other browsers that I explained above. But now, it's started having problems as well. I guess I'll try Chrome now. Any help would be immensely appreciated.

Thank you much

Stephan

#6 TonyStarks

TonyStarks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2010 - 11:29 PM

I just wanted to clarify-- I am mainly trying to fix the windows update problem I am having. I know I described several problems in my first post but I was only doing so to give some details that might help identify the problem. I figure that a Windows update may fix some of my problems-- it's been quite a while since I've done an update on this computer. Thanks everyone!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users