Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sound Problems

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 moondreamer1

moondreamer1

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 22 May 2010 - 08:14 PM

I've done the speaker test, which failed. The sound went out for a few days, then came back. That was at least a month ago. Then it went out again, and won't come back. I've been told my puter doesn't have a sound card, that sound is on the mother board. I was given a link to sound software to download, but that didn't help either. I have an EMachines W3400, which is about 5 years old. I'm not sure what to copy about my set up to help you solve problem, if possible.

When I turn my printer on/off there's a sound, but that comes from the tower, not the speakers.

Edited by hamluis, 10 July 2010 - 04:59 PM.
Merged topics on same issue, moved from XP to Internal Hardware forum ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 23 May 2010 - 10:43 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

First I want to point you towards the EMachines support page for the W3400 Desktop computer.

ON this page is a link to a pdf version of your owners manual, as well as your computers specifications.

http://downloads.emachines.com/userguides/...serGuide_en.pdf

It appears the site will not allow me to link you directly to their drivers page for your computer, but you have to input the info from this starting page.

http://www.emachines.com/support/drivers.html

Choose DESKTOP, then W series, then W3400.

There will be 5 tabs you can choose from, they are Applications, BIOS, Documents, drivers and patches.

Check the drivers tab for drivers for your computer.

Make sure you use the volume controls on your keyboard to increase your sound.

Hope this helps.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 moondreamer1

moondreamer1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2010 - 03:23 PM

I have EMachines W3400, CRX5520003340, operating system WindowsXP Home.

One local repair guy said my sound is on a motherboard, and I need to replace the motherboard.

Another says, no, all I need to do is get a sound card from a local electronics store & install it in the slot.

There are no electronic stores locally. I tried New Egg but never got a usuable response from them.

If I just need to buy a soundcard, how do I find where, what kind, where do I send $$?

Emachines had me download sound software from the internet, I did, nothing happened.
Another tech help sight also gave me software url's, to no avail.

To whom should I listen? And how do I find out about sound cards?

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 10 July 2010 - 03:49 PM

You don't necessarily have to get a card from an electronics store. Office supply stores which sell computers should have sound cards. I've bought sound and graphics cards from Office Depot, Office Max, and Wal-Mart. (caution: if you get it from Wal-Mart and it doesn't work, they will not give you a refund since the box has been opened. Check with other places on their return policy)

You can also call computer shops to see what sound cards they have in stock and what the prices are. Anyone who repairs computers or builds custom systems should have sound cards they can sell to you.

Installation is a very easy process. If I can do it, anyone can. Plus, it will cost a lot less than a new motherboard.

There is a wide price range but I'm guessing that you don't want to spend a lot for a card. You can get inexpensive cards which will work just fine. The sound on my motherboard died about 6 months ago. I went to Office Depot and got a Diamond Xtreme sound card for $20.95 (plus tax) which suits my needs.

If you do get a card and need help installing it, all you have to do is ask us and we will guide you through the process.
It's one of those things that once you do it you'll say "wow, that was easy".

Now, question time. Have you checked sound properties to make sure the sound is not muted?

Did you check to see if the sound drivers are installed? Right click on My Computer on your desktop. Click Manage.

When computer management opens, look to the left and click Device Manager.

Under Sound, video and game controllers does anything have a yellow triangle next to it? (I think it's a triangle shape)

Edit to add: In May you posted about a sound issue here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic318497.html

Did you follow the suggestions given by MrBruce?

Edited by Queen-Evie, 10 July 2010 - 05:49 PM.

#5 moondreamer1

moondreamer1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2010 - 12:50 AM

I checked to get an email notification for the first time I asked about this problem. I did not try those suggestions given by Mr. Bruce because I never got an Email notification. I checked same thing for second message, didn't get one for that either, so I decided to look to see if I'm getting answers, but no Email notices. Bingo. Will try Mr.Bruce's suggestions tomorrow. It's late, and I'm tired. Thanks for the help.

I live in the boonies. Do you think Radio Shack would have a sound card?

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 12 July 2010 - 12:25 PM

Call Radio Shack and ask.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users