Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AMD Phenom II X4 question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TechPc1

TechPc1

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 10 July 2010 - 02:47 PM

i have AMD Phenom II X4 quad core.

MA: GA-MA 785GT-UD3H

kingston 2GB

i bought it not a long time ago , but i dont see much different

from the sempron i had ( its wierd) (also i had the sempron with only 760~RAm)

so do i have to enbale its cores, speed capability in the windows, bios ??

i order to see performance??

as much as i know its pretty strong cpu

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 10 July 2010 - 03:35 PM

In short yes.

You'd have to tweak the settings/timings for the CPU, RAM and if possible the Video card as well and create a formula that works for your system to gain speed, but remain stable at the same time.

I can provide you with a lot of links to references, but I'll allow others to post theirs as well.

Here is some information about over-clocking to get you started.

http://www.wikihow.com/Overclock-a-PC

As I see fit, I may post a few other pieces of information you might find interesting.

I feel I should warn you, once you start over-clocking your system, it is important to provide a better means of keeping things cool, as the core will heat up considerably.

Best of luck to you.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 11 July 2010 - 04:28 PM

You don't need to "activate" the cores of the processor. They are always running (unless the AMD cool N quite is active ) you may not see a big performance increase because of the clock speed of the processor if your old one was close in speed. There also may be something set incorrectly in the Bios menu. You can download a program called PCWizard and it will show you what the clock speed of the processor and memory are. you should compare them to the manufactures specifications to make sure its running properly. The bennifit of having multiple cores is running multiple programs at the same time utilizes more cores. Some programs will take advantage of the multiple cores and use them all at the same time others will only use one at a time.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 bigalexe

bigalexe

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 11 July 2010 - 11:57 PM

A computer cannot live on a Processor Alone: I think someone said that.

Changing only a processor will not affect a computer much. The processor is the heart of the computer yes, however the RAM speed, the video card, and even read/write and RPM of the Hard Drive all factor in to "Performance." Also increasing the number of cores, but keeping the same clock speed will net you more capability but won't make a noticeable difference on the desktop necessarily.

Example:
Setup 1 is
Intel Pentium D Dual Core 2.66ghz
4 GB DDR2 RAM

Setup 2 is
AMD Phenom II X6 2.8ghz
4 GB DDR3 RAM

All else was the same except mainboard.

In changing from system 1 to system 2 I noticed some massive differences and some non-existent ones.
-The desktop does not run appreciably faster, programs still take the same time to open.
-Multi-Tasking is only slightly better because the RAM amount is the same
-Processor Heavy procedures are astronomically improved such as engineering analysis, and photographic rendering
-Video intensive applications have the same limitations

Now the 2nd setup is a much newer system obviously but is not performing on a level visibly years beyond the first one until you start really taxing the CPU, and using programs that can really utilize all 6 of those cores. Processes stuck on a single core, or processes run on the GPU are still the same because the Processor speed is similar and the GPU is the same as it was before.

So what runs better?
-Solidworks COSMOS (FEA)
-AutoCAD in some capacities
-Blender3D especially during render operations
-Some media

What runs the same?
-EVE Online
-Mozilla, various internet apps
-Office Programs that can't utilize multiple cores effectively
AMD Phenom II X6 2.8ghz
8GB DDR3 RAM
XFX ATI Radeon HD6850 1 GB DDR5, 26" Widescreen HDMI