Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ComboFix broken Internet connection... again. Now what?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 cmbofxizstable

cmbofxizstable

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 10 July 2010 - 01:16 PM

A long time ago I was instructed by someone here or on a similar site to run ComboFix, so I did and it broke my connection to the Net. I think that the "solution" I eventually came to involved using the restore point. I don't want to play around this time for a solution, and I don't want to use the restore point in the event that it just re-adds the infection (it seemed not to the last time I ran it, but that was a different infection) -- adware-like malware that seemed relatively sophisticated because it dodged just about every well-known free / trial scanner (GMER found some things but I couldn't utilize it because the infection or something else was causing it to hang / crash)... it would minimize windows periodically, play audio samples, turn down the volume all the way, pop-ups coming in via I.E., vague problems with flash / flash players (some of the problems probably secondary to the malware trying to do stuff... ), etc.

LSPFix doesn't do anything with this prob. with CF; the nature of the problem presumably just isn't the kind that LSPFix addresses.

Something I don't understand is why people give directions to use CF yet don't know how to restore the Internet connection that it so often breaks and doesn't repair. I mean the nature of the problem is presumably the same in virtually every case of this happening, yet based on my searching there is nowhere and no-one on the entire Internet who has the knowledge to clearly, concisely and directly deal with this problem. Why?

Anyway, before I try some other non-risk stuff and do a system restore that I don't even know will fix the problem, I just wanted to ask if anyone here happens to have the real solution to this problem.

As a side note, I don't have any active AV software or anything like that that I'm aware of that would be causing some sort of conflict.
Also wasn't sure whether I should put this here or just put it in the networking forum....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 10 July 2010 - 03:38 PM

Not to dispute your obviously thought out post but I have to ask about this.

A long time ago I was instructed by someone here or on a similar site to run ComboFix, so I did and it broke my connection to the Net.

If this were in fact the case, how is it possible you had that conversation here but only show having made one post here. This can be evidenced by your post count under your avatar. If in fact said conversation did take place here, did you follow up with the person helping you to resolve the issue or contact the staff at the forum to remedy the issue?

I don't dispute you had connection issues. My concern is following up either on your part or the Malware Helpers part to remedy that matter.

Our Helpers do know how to resolve the connection issue, and if they don't we have an excellent team that works together to find the answer.

We are more than willing to work through your issues, but your general statements leave many unanswered questions to resolving the issue you make.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users