Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Battery Being Drained on HP550 Pavilion

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 maximumrock

maximumrock

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 10 July 2010 - 12:28 PM

I have a HP 550 Pavilion laptop (running VISTA) that is about 11 months old.. For some reason, the last 3 weeks.....The battery has been getting drained super fast... it used to last me a good 1hr and 45 mins or so.....depending on what i was doing.. now i have to leave it plugged in all the time.. It goes from 100% to like 30% within 10-20 mins.....

I have scanned my laptop with Malwarebtyes, SuperAntispyware, Trend Micro Antivirus and Hijackthis.. And i am not finding any bad stuff that might be eating the PCU.. The PCU does seem pretty high when i am running firefox.. ..Now i have it at 100% and it says 23 min remaining..

Do any of you think this is a bad battery issue, or something else? I have 5 weeks left on this warranty, so i would like to get this handled before then..

Open to any ideas or suggestions..

Thanks guys!

max

Edited by maximumrock, 10 July 2010 - 12:34 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2010 - 12:59 PM

Strange as it seems, batteries lose a lot of the Lithium ion over time and don't hold a charge as long.

Using devices such as USB devices put a drain on laptop batteries as well.

The way a rechargeable battery is charged and discharged has a lot to do with how long it holds a charge and how long it lasts.

I looked up Pavilion 550 and it comes back as a desktop PC not a laptop, not sure why that is, did you post the correct information?
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 maximumrock

maximumrock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2010 - 01:16 PM

Strange as it seems, batteries lose a lot of the Lithium ion over time and don't hold a charge as long.

Using devices such as USB devices put a drain on laptop batteries as well.

The way a rechargeable battery is charged and discharged has a lot to do with how long it holds a charge and how long it lasts.

I looked up Pavilion 550 and it comes back as a desktop PC not a laptop, not sure why that is, did you post the correct information?

im sorry, i thought it was a pavilion. my mistake.. its just an HP550.. I bought it off Tigerdirect.com last august. below is an image of its details.. except, i put in extra ram last year making it 3GB.. thanks for the quick reply........

Posted Image

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2010 - 01:22 PM

Okay thanks for making the correction, now we can get on the right track.

You're welcome for the quick reply, give me a few minutes to do some quick research.

Kind regards.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 maximumrock

maximumrock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2010 - 01:27 PM

thx alot

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2010 - 01:28 PM

First a link to the support pages to your laptop.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechS...amp;y=4&x=8

Here's another support link.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechS...eriesId=3764998

Be back shortly......

Bruce.

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2010 - 01:34 PM

Here is my suggested advice, go to the link below and enter the correct information in the boxes provided, then check for a new battery for your device and order one.

http://h20141.www2.hp.com/hpparts/default....27A1B5A36AB5883

Best of luck to you as I believe your battery has exhausted its full potential. It happens with rechargeable batteries.

#8 maximumrock

maximumrock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2010 - 02:27 PM

Okay thanks for making the correction, now we can get on the right track.

You're welcome for the quick reply, give me a few minutes to do some quick research.

Kind regards.

Bruce.

Here is my suggested advice, go to the link below and enter the correct information in the boxes provided, then check for a new battery for your device and order one.

http://h20141.www2.hp.com/hpparts/default....27A1B5A36AB5883

Best of luck to you as I believe your battery has exhausted its full potential. It happens with rechargeable batteries.

thanks again man!! i ended up goin to that link...and actually called them while i was doing it.. and since it was still under the warranty (5 weeks remaining)they replaced my battery for free .. will arrive on tuesday! so thats good news! :thumbsup:

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2010 - 04:29 PM

they replaced my battery for free .. will arrive on tuesday! so thats good news! :flowers:

Yes that is good news, can't complain about free services like that.

I am glad everything has worked out in your favor.

Happy computing! :thumbsup:

Bruce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users