Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please help

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Siniestrin

Siniestrin

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 10 July 2010 - 09:29 AM

First of all excuse my english, it's not my native language and i hope you can understand what I am trying to explain. OK I have a weird problem ... I have a Toshiba Satellite M45 S331, win xp ... it's like 4 years old ... which i think maybe is the reason of the problem. The computer suddenly started to turn off automaticaly I noticed that the internal fan went crazy (it was working very fast and very loud) and the computer was overheated and it suddenly became very very slow ... sometimes the screen that appears when you turn the computer on was just static for a while (like 3 to 5 minutes) and then windows started loading, sometimes the first screen was not the size of the monitor ... it was like 3/4 and even when windows loaded the screen remained the same and did not let me use it the remain portion of the screen (it was just black) ... so i format! Everything seemed ok until it restarted after initial configuration, it keeps doing the same (with the screen) I noticed that the screen was failing when the computer was overheated. After leting the computer off for a while it cooled a little so the problem with the screen was gone (but not for good because if I restarted the computer the problem remained). Also it was very slow ... but another problem appeared, because when everything was loading i received a message on the desktop telling me tha ccap.exe failed to load (which i understand is something that has to do with norton) and also a message that the toshiba power management failed to load too ... I did not get the battery icon in my desktop. Do you think i have a problem with the motherboard? And why do i get the norton and power errors? Also as i said before the computer is very slow ... even running the solitaire makes the computer slow ... and sometimes irresponsive while the program loads, if I open another program ... the same. Whats wrong with the computer?. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 10 July 2010 - 10:49 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

First your English is fine and I understood everything you explained in your post clearly.

Below is a link to the Toshiba web site, it is linked to the support pages of your computer.

Here is the main link. http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su...mily=1073768663

This link is to a pdf format owners manual. http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su...mily=1073768663

Your problem is usually related to dust build up inside the laptop or the heat sink on the processor or video card is loose, or needs to be removed and new thermal grease applied.

First thing you want to try is purchasing a can of compressed air designed for blowing out electronic enclosures.

Blow the air through any air vents that you find on the unit.

It may come down to disassembling the laptop to gain access to the fan and heat sink to successfully remove embedded dust from the cooling fins.

Removing the processor's heat sink and applying thermal grease to the processor's head and re-installing the heat sink will help transfer heat away from the processor more efficiently.

Check the video card for dust, there may be a cooling fan tunnel that allows air flow to reach the heat sink, make sure this tunnel is clear of any dust as well and that any heat sink on the video card is clear of dust in its fins.

Please post back the results after you have tried what I suggested.

Good luck and kind regards.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users