Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multiple Computer Infections

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 melmin

melmin

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 18 October 2005 - 03:26 PM

Hey my name is Melissa and I'm new here.
My computer has recently been infected by the virus Hacktool.rootkit via an hacked email from my brothers friend. And on top of that an adware called surfsidekick 3 has installed itself onto my computer. I have a Windows XP computer with a Norton Anti-Virus Program and installed McAfee Personal Firewall on my computer. I also bought Xoftspy 4.16, which is how i found out about surfsidekick3.
I have tracked Hacktool.rootkit back to the file msdirectx.sys, but I am unable to remove it. A message stating that it is in use and that I cannot remove items while they are being used flashes and cancels the removal. Same for the Surfsidekick3 folder.
I have seen on other sites, the the hacktool.rootkit is traced also to files named xpjava.exe and setup32.sys (or .exe?) but i have neither of those files (yes I clicked the Show hidden files button).
Norton's website advised that I turn off the System Restore control until I can remove the virus (so that it doesn't copy itself on to the restore) and can do another full scan of files. Unfortunately it doesn't instruct how to remove the file.

Any detailed help will be much appreciated in how to fix this situation. I'm pretty decent with computers but this is confusing? :thumbsup: Thanks much.
Melissa

//Mod edit: Moved from Windows XP/NT/2000/2003 forum to the more appropriate.

Edited by KoanYorel, 18 October 2005 - 03:37 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pacman123

pacman123

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 18 October 2005 - 03:52 PM

Hi there is a tool for removing files that are in use, i have not tried it myself but have read good reports you could take a look .........

http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

Hope this helps........

#3 melmin

melmin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 18 October 2005 - 04:01 PM

Hi there is a tool for removing files that are in use, i have not tried it myself but have read good reports you could take a look .........

http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

Hope this helps........

hey thanks i downloaded it and it showed me all the "locked" files but still said it couldnt delete it?

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 18 October 2005 - 07:00 PM

From Symantec:
Hacktool.Rootkit

Important: If you are unable to start your Symantec antivirus product or the product reports that it cannot delete a detected file, you may need to stop the risk from running in order to remove it. To do this, run the scan in Safe mode. For instructions, read the document, How to start the computer in Safe Mode. Once you have restarted in Safe mode, run the scan again.

Follow all directions at Symantec, carefully.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users