Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Safest way to recover WIN Vista?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ThorsonB

ThorsonB

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 10 July 2010 - 05:09 AM

I got a friend who apparently downloaded a Virus on his computer, and now his computer wont load past th BIOS /POST (power on system test) screen…..
I was thinking… just get a Live Linux/Ubuntu CD, using that and retrieve whatever important he has saved on his HDD… and then re-install WIN_Vista

I’m not sure if he has his OS on a separate partition, and data (files/documents/videos/music) on a separate partition.

Any suggestions on how I should go about doing this?

Since I’m not an expert, I’m sure my friend would be happy enough to know that his files were retrieved… he should care less about his system settings / configurations

Or maybe there is a LIVE Windows Vista CD? That one can make use of?? And maybe I try get a “System Restore Point” ??

P.s. this person doesn’t have the Installation discs for Vista, it came pre installed with the computer (second hand)…
Microsoft isn't evil, they just make really crappy operating systems. -- Linus Torvalds, creator of Linux

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,696 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 10 July 2010 - 01:15 PM

Recover Deleted Files on an NTFS Hard Drive from a Ubuntu...
Obviously, later on, all recovered files have to be scanned with AV program, before putting them back on fresh installation.

As for reinstalling Vista, that computer should have recovery partition, unless someone removed it.
What's the computer brand?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users