Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to remove my password in User Accounts (XP-Pro)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Lee42

Lee42

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 10 July 2010 - 02:03 AM

I went on vacation recently and before leaving, I created a password for my computers (Control Panel -> User Accounts) so that the guy (I did it mainly for his unknown friends he brings over) who was looking after the house, couldn't use them while we were away. When I got back and tried removing the password on the BenQ, I saw there was no "Remove my password" choice to click on in the User Accounts. There's a link to change my password but none to remove it. So now, I'm stuck having to type my password every time I turn on or restart my system. The system with the problem is a BenQ brand (o/a 4+ years old) with XP-Pro on it. (3.2Ghz cpu with 1-1/2Gb ram)

Please see the BenQ screenshot of the User Accounts window to see what I'm talking about at: http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/9113/pa...problem7910.jpg

My other PC (next to the BenQ) is an eMachine with XP-Media Center Edition on it. (3.06Ghz cpu with 2Gb ram) and I had no problem removing my password since the "Remove my password" link is there to click on.

Please see the eMachine screenshot of this window to compare the windows of each system at: http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/6461/re...wordvisible.jpg

Anybody got a solution or ideas for me to get this password removed...and get the "Remove my password" link back in place where it belongs?

Thanx so much in advance!! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 10 July 2010 - 07:45 AM

Click on change my password and leave the line that you would normally put a different password into blank and see if it will accept it. :thumbsup:

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#3 tenz

tenz

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 10 July 2010 - 11:58 AM

Does the user have administrative rights?

If you log in as the "ADMINISTRATOR" user account (not just any administrative account), you should be able to strip other user's passwords

#4 Lee42

Lee42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2010 - 02:47 PM

Click on change my password and leave the line that you would normally put a different password into blank and see if it will accept it. :flowers:

Holy cow! Your suggestion did the trick!! :thumbsup: The password is gone and I can now boot up w/o having to type it in every time.

Thank you computerxpds...I do appreciate it! :trumpet:

#5 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 10 July 2010 - 03:07 PM

I'd just like to remind everyone that having an Administrative level account with a blank password is generally a bad idea from a security standpoint. If all you want to do is be able to log in without entering your password, you can set up an account to autologin while still maintaining the security of having a password.

#6 Lee42

Lee42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2010 - 03:08 PM

Does the user have administrative rights?

If you log in as the "ADMINISTRATOR" user account (not just any administrative account), you should be able to strip other user's passwords

I'm sorry tenz, I totally forgot to mention that I'm the only one who uses the computer and the only account is mine as the Administrator.

Thank you for taking the time to reply though. That was a great suggestion there. :thumbsup:

#7 Lee42

Lee42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2010 - 04:21 PM

I'd just like to remind everyone that having an Administrative level account with a blank password is generally a bad idea from a security standpoint.

When you say "from a security standpoint", were you referring to (for example) that anybody who walked up to my computer could turn it on and have free access to all my files kind of thing? Or did you mean having something to do with online security? Please feel free to elaborate on that. You've got my curiosity peaked.

If all you want to do is be able to log in without entering your password, you can set up an account to autologin while still maintaining the security of having a password.

All I want to do is just hit that power button on my puter and have it go straight to the Desktop without having the interruption of typing in a password. I'm at home, not in a work enviroment and nobody here bothers with my computers. But anyway, what did you mean by setting up an autologin account? Thanks Andrew. :thumbsup:

#8 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2010 - 04:52 PM

When you say "from a security standpoint", were you referring to (for example) that anybody who walked up to my computer could turn it on and have free access to all my files kind of thing? Or did you mean having something to do with online security? Please feel free to elaborate on that. You've got my curiosity peaked.

Both.

All I want to do is just hit that power button on my puter and have it go straight to the Desktop without having the interruption of typing in a password. I'm at home, not in a work enviroment and nobody here bothers with my computers. But anyway, what did you mean by setting up an autologin account? Thanks Andrew. :thumbsup:

It's pretty easy. Here's how:

1. Click Start, click Run, and type control userpasswords2 then press Enter
2. Uncheck the Users must enter a username and password to use this computer check box.
3. Click Apply.
4. Enter the user name and password you wish to automatically log on with, and then click OK.
5. Click OK again and you're all done.

#9 Lee42

Lee42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2010 - 04:28 PM

1. Click Start, click Run, and type control userpasswords2 then press Enter
2. Uncheck the Users must enter a username and password to use this computer check box.
3. Click Apply.
4. Enter the user name and password you wish to automatically log on with, and then click OK.
5. Click OK again and you're all done.

I followed your instructions with ease and got it setup with a password that I wont have to type at startup. I had no idea that could be done and I'm very glad you told me about it! I'm gonna do that on all my systems from here on out. Thank you so much Andrew. :thumbsup:

#10 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2010 - 01:48 AM

No problem!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users