Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Running two Operating Systems with one pc?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 stinkfist

stinkfist

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 10 July 2010 - 01:32 AM

Hello,

I am getting ready to use a SSD drive as my main drive. I have a SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb as my main drive right now. Should I just keep the W7 OS that is on there now and use it as a backup or should I wipe the drive clean and use it for store only? Is there a certain program to run two OS with one PC? Also if I leave the W7 on the Samsung drive will I be able to move files from my new SSD drive to the Samsung? The SSD drive will have W7 also.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 10 July 2010 - 02:38 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

You can run any number of O/Ses on a system...but you can only be using one at any time.

I believe in spreading risk...risk of hard drive failure is always a possibility. So I put each O/S I install on a different hard drive (I have more drives than I need), usually preferring the smaller drive for O/S installs. If I have to use a large drive (120GB or more), I create a 20-50GB partition for the O/S, depending on what I intend to install and what else I intend to put on the system partition.

It's entirely up to you...to see value in having two installs of the same O/S on one system.

<<...will I be able to move files from my new SSD drive to the Samsung...>>

Depends...on what types of files you refer to. Programs, no. Data files, yes.

If you do go with two of the same...be aware that, when booted into, each will see the other install...as just another storage drive. You cannot run programs on one install from the other.

Louis

#3 stinkfist

stinkfist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 10 July 2010 - 06:47 PM

Great thanks for the info. So for this partition on my Samsung 1tb drive I have now. Will it run faster if I partition it to 50 gb or so and put W7 on there? How do I do this? Do I have to reinstall W7? Or is there a way to do it without reinstall?

Edit: Edited to remove unnecessary quote. ~ tg

#4 Luke L

Luke L

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 11 July 2010 - 12:53 AM

"Will it run faster if I partition it to 50 gb or so and put W7 on there?"
Don't know

"Do I have to reinstall W7?"
No

"How do I do this?"
1) First, defragment your hard drive. Not sure if it is that important, but that's what I have read online.
2) Go to start
Type in that search box "partition" and "create and format hard disk partitions" should show up. Click on it.
3) You should be able to find your disk below. If you right click on your hard disk, it should show the option to shrink volume. After you do that, there is free space to set up a partition. I think you will just right click on the free space and some how set up the partition.

Good luck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users