Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

just some questions/clarification

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 10 July 2010 - 12:06 AM

Hi folks,
I know that I've been here as a member of this board for like three months now, so I should probably know this. But seeing that I'm a little confused, I'll just put it out there. I had asked a question regarding one of my favorite FTP clients, (namely Web Drive from South River Technologies), asking the members here if it is a worthy program to buy for demos can't always tell all things about the software being demoed, and I haven't seen a reply in like a month or two. I didn't want to bump it, simply due to the fact that I didn't want to insult you guys. That topic was under Web Browser, email, and other internet apps if I'm not mistaken. My other topic, which was posted around Junish or so, it had to do with ASP.net issues I was having on Abyss Web server. That topic basically died right in the middle. Someone had asked me if I had done a preliminary step, which I told them I had, and so far, it seems like a month later, still nothing. Did I do something wrong? should I do something to capture anyone's attention? Please let me know what I should be doing. Thanks.

Chromebuster

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,461 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2010 - 01:51 PM

No, I do not think you did anything wrong. I think its that people just do not know the answer.

#3 chromebuster

chromebuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2010 - 08:30 PM

That makes perfect sense actually seeing that I do everything differently (E.G. use Web drive as an fTP client instead of doing what the average user does, namely use something like FileZilla). Or in web server terms, use something like abyss for my test runs rather than just using IIS for ASP.net. But curiously, how long can those topics stay open for when the right person comes along who does know what is going on with that? In fact, I'm not the only one who had this occur. I was browsing around the windows 7 forum to see if anyone had had the same network sharing issue i am, and I came across a thread that had only the original post on it, and it has been a year since this member has heard anything till I came along. Do you think that patience is all it takes even in those situations, or do you think I should quit trying to use nonstandard programs for which support has ceased to my particular questions. and by that I mean I contact the folks, and get something back for a while and then my question gets abandoned while everyone elses gets responses. This is particularly true for Aprelium. and in terms of the topic regarding Aprelium, should I send a message to the person who was originally giving me a hand with that, and tell them about the new things that seem to be going on after I had changed some stuff around? I recall that I accidentally made a new post after I hadn't heard from them in a long time called "My never ending set of ASP.net issues". The first, (the one that died), was called "Issues on Abyss web server". Both are in the same forum. The second has the details of the current situation. But thanks so much for the quick reply.

Regards,
Chromebuster

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,461 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2010 - 12:14 PM

These are good questions and hard to answer. The reality is that we (staff and peers) try to answer every question we find. Some slip through just because of manpower and some do not get answered simply because noone knows the answer. The topic stays open as it is a huge job for our staff to comb through the forums and close topics that get to a certain age and that are still unanswered.

As for the programs you use, unfortunately if you do things a little different then there will be less support. Abyss is not a web server that I have heard of. So I would not even try to respond to that topic. For matters that are more specialized I would probably say that your better off asking in a more specialized environment devoted to that tool. http://www.aprelium.com/forum/

#5 chromebuster

chromebuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2010 - 01:37 PM

Thanks. I was getting scared there for a second when I replied to that old topic. (And never have I heard from that particular member again). You see, I have had a horrible experience with a board that I have now all but abandoned that involved this very thing. I was scolded by a mod for replying to an open, but a month old, topic that was a pretty good discussion if you ask me. We were discussing a particularly nasty rogue, and I was stating my opinion about the apalling virustotal report in which some of the top of the line (like Kaspersky and Eset especially), didn't detect the darn thing. I was yelled at right on the forum that the topic was too old and that I shouldn't be replying to it. I did it again thinking that the guy might have had a bad day or something, and this time I was sent a PM about it. I replied to him asking for clarification of the rules, and he never had the courtesy to respond! When I contacted the admin about this particular mod, he didn't respond, so I just stay away from there now. And by the way, another member was in the middle of trying to sort out a malware issue, and then right after I basically sent the person away since I knew that things weren't going down right, this same guy who yelled at me closed the topic and said that it was locked due to time. The poor member never got his issue solved, at least not over there. Isn't that terrible? Well anyway, sorry for the rant, but that's why I was asking that question about the age of topics. And thanks again.

Regards,
Chromebuster

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 11 July 2010 - 08:24 PM

If you have additional information, to add to a topic, no matter how old it is, please do so.
No one will jump on you for doing that.
You never know, someone doing a Search of the forums for a particular problem, might just need that exact piece of information you provided, to solve their problem.
We're all about, getting necessary information out to the public.
The more we can provide, the better the chance someone has to resolve their issues.

More info, is a good thing. :thumbsup:
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 chromebuster

chromebuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2010 - 08:56 PM

Thanks guys. I think then that I'll just say good bye to matt Rizos for good. I've determined that just because a person has a youtube channel, and he makes you laugh every five seconds, that says nothing about him and how he really runs his sites and boards. In fact, I posted one of his videos on here a few months ago. But in terms of posts that have gotten no replies, is it better for me to add another one to it regardless if the person has replied, or didn't you say that causes confusion? like for instance, the issue I'm having with ASP.net configuration. I should probably merge my two posts, shouldn't I?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users