Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Just Shuts Down

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 monika

monika

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 18 October 2005 - 03:06 PM

Hello there,

it has been about a week since my computer started this strange thing that it suddenly shuts down no matter what program I use at that moment, but mainly it happens while using the internet, but that might be because I almost only use the internet. Any ideas why this could be and how to solve this problem???

Thanks a lot.

Monika

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 18 October 2005 - 08:19 PM

Can you tell us more about your computer? CPU type, RAM capacity, hard drive size, graphics card type, what version of windows, what anti-virus or anti-spyware you have installed, what web browser you use, etc

After it shuts down and you reboot does windows put up any error messages?

Try some basic maintenance:
  • Boot in Safe Mode and do a scandisk with the 'Thorough' and 'Fix' options checked.
    If you are not sure how to boot in Safe Mode there is a tutorial here:
    Safe Mode
    How to find scandisk:
    Open My Computer. Right click the C: drive then Properties>Tools tab, click on Disk Checker

• When that's finished do a defrag.
    Also under My Computer. Right click the C: drive then Properties>Tools tab
    They will take some time but at least you will know your hard drive is working correctly and tidied up.
  • Reboot and see if there's any improvement.

• Check how much free space you have on your hard drive.
    Start>My Computer click once on your C: drive and look in the Details box on the left.
hth :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 monika

monika
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2005 - 03:10 PM

Right, here as as much information as I managed to gather up:

Computer:
AMD Athlon™ 1600+, 1.4GHz, 112MB RAM, 40GB

Operating system:
Microsoft Windows XP Professional, version 2002, service pack 2, graphic card S3 Savage SD AGP, used space on the disc before defragmentation 32.3GB, free 4.89GB

I use the following spyware and adware programs: Spybot - Search & DEstroy, Ad-aware, Spyware Blaster, Spyware Guard, avast, Zone Alarm.

For internet browser I use Firefox mostly, sometimes Mozilla and ocasionally Internet explorer for internet banking as it does not support any other browser.

When the computer shuts down and i turn it on again it does not show any message but in case of the computer just restarting itself which hapens as well it shows a message that the system has recovered after a serious error and gives me the choice of sending the message to microsof.

That about what i am able to tell about my computer, hope it helps...

I will clean my disc and do all theother things you have advised and we'll see if it makes any difference...

If you could think of any other reason for this problem,please let me know what I should do..

I do very much appreciate your help..

Thanx...xxx

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 20 October 2005 - 03:33 PM

Monika if you are comfortable openning you case, unplug it remove the cover and blow it out. Go to Walmart or your local computer shop and get some compressed air (in electrnics). Do not use a regular air compressor. It will have mositure in the lines (they all do) and you will end up spraying your computer with water. Thats a bad thing.
Once the dust bunnies are blown out, carefully plug your computer up with the cover off. Observe to see if all of the fans are turning. There will be a small one on the processor, one or two large ones screwed to the case, and one might be on your video card. If they are not turning that will probibly be you problem. This should only take 30 mins or so to do.
This is easy and you should have no problem doing this. Heat is a big killer of computer equipment.
Let us know how it comes out.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2005 - 07:12 PM

Just on a side issue, if you go into Tools>Options>Web Features in Firefox where you have the tick box for 'Block Popup Windows' there is an 'Allowed sites' button. If you enter your bank's website there and maybe also the bank's secure website you shoiuld find you can do internet banking fine with Firefox. Worked for me.

Its a bit like those media websites that say "you must have Windows Media Player to view this clip". HA! I can see them fine in Irfanview thanks! :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#6 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 21 October 2005 - 10:19 AM

Computer:
AMD Athlon™ 1600+, 1.4GHz, 112MB RAM, 40GB

Are you sure you didn't mean "512 MB RAM?"

112 would be really optimistic when running XP Pro.

#7 monika

monika
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2005 - 01:12 PM

Yeah I know...maybe I am a really big optimist or miracles happen !!!!... Should really update my comp or even better...get a new one...well, unfortunatelly will have to wait for that a while yet, so for now I have to keep on struggling with this one...never mind, i got quite used to it...cheers...take care...M

#8 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2005 - 05:54 PM

Monika - so has there been any improvement?

I also agree with Herk about the RAM you should put another 256MB in there asap.

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2005 - 11:20 PM

Herk and Rimmer are giving good advice. If you bump up to 256mb of RAM you will have a new computer. I personally would stack it up to 512mb of RAM. You won't believe how much of an improvement it will make. I'm running XP Pro on a 1999 Dell GX1 P-III 500mhz and have been for over two years. I don't know what kind of memory you have but if it is SDram you can pick up 2 256mb chips for about $25 ea. The other types are only slightly more expensive. Buy one chip at a time.
You will only lose a problem.
I take it you have 112mb of RAM because you video is sharing your RAM? Do you have 16meg of dedicated video RAM?

#10 monika

monika
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2005 - 10:07 AM

Hello,
yes, that is absolutelly right 112mb RAM and video sharing of 16meg video RAM...that is a package of 128SDRAM... okay i check the prices of RAMs on the internet and will get one in accordace to keep the computer going. will I be able to install them myself and where does it go in the box...i must admit to open the box and put something new in it sounds like a bit of rocket sience to me...thanks fot advice...x

No improvement so far, I have opend the computer case and cleaned all the ventilators the best I could...couldnt believe how dusty and dirty they were...yuck...honestly...a disaster...I have run all the spyware and adware programs to see if it wasnt this kind of problem but soon after turning the computer on it has turned off again...will get some more RAM and see if it will help...i hve known for long that i in nedd for update and it seems it is the time to do it...well, better late than never...i will keep you posted about the problem...thanks a lot for your help...xx

Right, one more question...just checked rams on the internet, but it is a little bit too confusing for me, can you let me know what kind of ram can i buy for my computer: I found the following ones:

256 MB PC 2100 DDR COMPUTER MEMORY - RAM

256mb RAM pc100 sync CL2

256Mb 133Mhz Pc2100 CL2 Ram

256mb DDR 266MHz PC2100 Ram

256 MB PC 133 Ram

256mb LGS RAM 100MHz DRAM EDO / FastPage

Thanx...

#11 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2005 - 11:38 AM

You will need to unplug the computer take the cover off and see what kind of ram you have if your manual, BIOS, MSinf32, a sticker on the front/side of the machine does not tell you.
Look for : SDram RDram, DDR, PCXXXX (a 3 or 4digit number next to PC).

#12 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2005 - 07:35 PM

Crucial has a RAM analyser that you can download and run while online. It is should be able to give you the required info about your memory. Here :thumbsup:

Edited by Rimmer, 23 October 2005 - 07:37 PM.

#13 monika

monika
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2005 - 03:45 PM

Hello there, it is me again...

So I managed to get some more RAM into my computer. I have bought 512MB and add it to my 128MB already in the computer. First, I put it in the empty memory slot - as I only had one more empty slot left - and started the computer. It was in complete chaos. Then I managed to find out that with some computers the memory slots have to be in a certain order, so I swapped them around and it is working alright....but instead of now having 630MB it only says 496MB in the configuration description. I do not know what is wrong now...Could you help me out here???

Thanx...Monika

#14 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2005 - 05:00 PM

If you have onboard video the BIOS may have stepped up the memory to the video since more was available. Check your motherboard maker on the www.

#15 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2005 - 05:54 PM

It seems like your 512MB and 128MB RAM are incompatible. (It may be your motherboard will only allow both slots to be used if the RAM is the same size.) I think you should remove the 128MB stick and see how the PC runs with the 512MB alone.

And 496MB is right - 512Mb less the 16MB for your video.
:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users