Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Free up Memory on External Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 monicadawn

monicadawn

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 09 July 2010 - 11:48 PM

Hi! I have a Western Delta External Hard Drive with 320 GB. It says that it is almost full, but that is pretty impossible. I started to delete/consolidate stuff and actually move it onto my mac. Right now it says it has 2.57 GB free, so I grabbed a 19 GB folder and copied onto my computers hard drive, and then deleted it off of my external. It still says that I only have 2.57 free. I believe it's been doing this the whole time as I clean it up or consolidate... it never actually frees up the space. Does anyone know why this is happening and how I can fix this so that I can continue to use my external to back up files that I need?

Thanks for your help!
Monica

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 10 July 2010 - 12:28 AM

Try emptying your Recycle Bin to see if that frees up any disk space.
To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

#3 monicadawn

monicadawn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 10 July 2010 - 08:48 AM

Hi! Emptying my recycle bin was one of the first things that I did and it didn't work. I did check beforehand and nothing from my external that was deleted was in my computers trash anyway since the files were not deleted from my computer. I have no idea where the files go when they are deleted from the external. I went ahead and tried it anyway, but the external still says 2.57. Any other ideas?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 10 July 2010 - 01:06 PM

Run chkdsk /r command on the external.

Start/Run...type chkdsk X: /r (where X: represents drive letter asisgned external) and hit Enter.

If screen comes up which indicates that command cannot be run until next boot...type Y and hit Enter. Rebott system.

Command will run, system will boot into XP when chkdsk /r completes.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users