Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer shuts down about a sec after i turn it on

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 shashman

shashman

• Members
  • 179 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 09 July 2010 - 08:57 PM

I have a compaq presario sr1610nx desktop. it turns on but about a sec later it shuts down. Why is this happening

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 09 July 2010 - 09:21 PM

Same in safe mode?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 shashman

shashman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 179 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 09 July 2010 - 09:56 PM

the computer doesnt go into any mode, it turns off right away. Let me give a more detailed explanation

Compaq presario sr1610nx desktop. When I turn it on, the processor fan spins and so does the psu fan. However after a second the fans stop spinning and the computer shuts down. At this point, the green power light on the front of the computer, that is supposed to be on when the computer is on, and off when the computer is shut down, starts blinking.

I changed about the power supply unit thinking it was the psu that had gone bad. So what else can be making the computer shut down? Could it be that the processor needs a new layer of thermal paste on top of it? Im skeptical of that being the cause cause even after the computer has been off for like a day or two, the same shut down prooblem happens and I cant imagine the processor getting so hot right away.

What else could it be?

Edited by shashman, 09 July 2010 - 11:34 PM.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 10 July 2010 - 12:53 AM

Since you replaced power supply, that's probably not it.
As for overheating....maybe.
Overheating doesn't work the way you described.
CPU heats up in a fraction of a second, so shutting down due to overheating may happen very quickly.
Have you cleaned inside the case lately?
Try to open the case, point regular house fan toward the open case and start the computer.
Same problem?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users