Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fan Underperformance

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Vosscharge

Vosscharge

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 09 July 2010 - 08:18 PM

I'm working on an HP DV6000. Recently shipped it to a friend who replaced the "ventilator" and gave it back. Now my fans do run, but for whatever reason they seem to be underperforming or running very quietly. Now it is summer and the area is hotter, but recently my cpu temp and the temp of my graphics card (as told by speedfan) are (With something like silkroad running hidden) around 55C. However, with a heavy program like silkroad in full view the cpu/graphics card temperatures can sometimes rich up to 80C, at which point the computer usually shuts down. I've been trying to find ways to adjust the fan speed to no avail. I know there was a BIOS update for DV6000's with AMD processors but mine has a "Genuine Intel® CPU T2130" processor. I also cannot control the fans with Speedfan.

Help, please

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 10 July 2010 - 01:18 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

You may want to take a quick peek in your BIOS to see if there is a setting there that changes how your cooling fans are controlled.

Some BIOSes allow for full speed of the fans all the time, while another setting allows the fans to be regulated as needed.

With the addition of cooling fans, I always recommend making sure thermal grease is replaced and re-applied between the heat sink and processor. If that wasn't performed, you should do that, as it helps transfer heat away from the processor core.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Vosscharge

Vosscharge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 11 July 2010 - 11:36 PM

I'm not very experienced with the BIOS so that may be out of the question. How difficult would it be to change these settings? After looking into what kind of BIOS I had I discovered it was a Hewlett-Packard F.27.

Edited by Vosscharge, 11 July 2010 - 11:41 PM.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 11 July 2010 - 11:45 PM

Its not difficult at all.

If you have an owners manual to the motherboard, it has a section on how to enter your BIOS and how the menus are set up and where to go to make changes.

Do you have an owners manual to your computer?

If not, I am providing you with a link please pick your model from this list shown at this link. http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Lookup?h_la...p;submit=Go+%BB

From there I'll provide you with information on how to make safe changes to your BIOS setup utility.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users