Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Windows (XP) is not currently managing your wireless network"

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Shoban Sen

Shoban Sen

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 09 July 2010 - 07:18 PM

I did something stupid. I cannot remember what I did and why did I do it. (But it was something to do with a dialog box question like "Do you want Windows to manage your wireless connectivity?" I probably clicked on No.)

I have a small wireless home network between my desktop and laptop computers. The desktop is working fine -- I am using the desktop to make this posting. With the laptop, I cannot connect to the Internet. I can see the Intel PROSet Wireless bubble on the taskbar is saying I am connected to the Internet, and the signal strength is Excellent. But I cannot reach any Web site with IE7 or AOL.

I clicked on "Diagnose Connection Problems" offered by IE. After sometime, Network Diagnostics for Windows XP announced, "Windows is not currently managing your wireless network, hence it cannot diagnose the connection problem. If you are using a non-microsoft application to manage your wireless network, please refer to that application to troubleshoot the wireless network problem."

All I know is my Router is Netgear. The other thing I know is sometime ago, I had installed a freeware called Easy WiFi Radar (http://www.makayama.com/) in my laptop thinking that it might come handy while traveling to connect quickly and easily, for free, to the Internet anywhere, anytime. But soon I discovered that it was interfering with my home network (taking priority and control) and so I uninstalled the software. Since then I was having some trouble connecting to the Internet through my laptop. And then I let Windows manage my network first and then again, I "fired" Windows (don't ask me why).

Call me dumb, stupid, idiot -anything you like BUT PLEASE HELP ME CONNECT TO THE INTERNET WITH MY LAPTOP. Obviously, some internal settings got changed. How can I bring everything back to normalcy? My hunch says it should be easy, BUT I SIMPLY DON'T KNOW WHERE TO TWEAK!
~Shoban Sen~
I am always learning ...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Shoban Sen

Shoban Sen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2010 - 10:55 AM

This is an UPDATE of my above Post #1 (Windows is not currently managing your wireless network).

I ran the Microsoft Network Diagnostics this morning. It said, NETWORK ADAPTERS FAILED. When I clicked on the plus sign to expand Network Adapters, I found the following details:

Intel® PRO/Wireless 2915ABG Network Connection FAILED.
More details about the above:

1. Default IP Gateway = 192.168.1.1 (Same Subnet) - FAILED.
2. DHCP Server = 192.168.1.1. - FAILED.
3. DNS Server Search Order = 192.168.1.1 - FAILED.
4. IP Address = 192.168.1.33 - PASSED.

How can I fix the problem? PLEASE HELP. THANKS.
~Shoban Sen~
I am always learning ...

#3 Shoban Sen

Shoban Sen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2010 - 08:07 PM

UPDATE #2:

I just got off the phone with the Netgear (my router manufacturer) tech service rep. After two hours of troubleshooting and tweaking some of my laptop's internal settings, he concluded that my network connection is okay. There were some problems with connecting to my network which he corrected. But still I cannot connect to Google or any other site. His conclusion: The network connection is okay. The problem lies with my laptop. He suggested to contact my computer manufacturer's (Dell) tech support to fix the computer problem. Unfortunately, my warranty has expired. It will cost a lot of money (which I don't have) to get telephone help from Dell.

Does anybody has any idea about how to troubleshoot my computer (Dell Inspiron 6000) problem? Thanks.
~Shoban Sen~
I am always learning ...

#4 Shoban Sen

Shoban Sen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2010 - 11:35 AM

UPDATE #3

PROBLEM SOLVED. I connected my laptop with the router using an ethernet cable and there -- the Internet jumped right into my computer. My conclusion: My laptop's wireless card is kaput. That is why I could not connect to the Internet, the wireless connection is fine. I'll just buy an external USB wireless adapter, which are not so expensive anyway.

Thanks everybody for not trying to help. :thumbsup:

CASE CLOSED.

Edited by Shoban Sen, 11 July 2010 - 11:37 AM.

~Shoban Sen~
I am always learning ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users