Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC won't boot after severe undervoltage...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cpumelter

cpumelter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 09 July 2010 - 05:36 PM

We had a power outage yesterday on an unprotected pc, and now it will not boot. For maybe 1 min., there was only 60 volts line voltage until we realized there was a problem. Now the pc will not boot past the black Microsoft XP screen, and sometimes will not even count up the memory completely & continue booting; it just hangs there.

Went into BIOS had a look around, all looks ok. I loaded fail-safe defaults, still no boot. Did a test on the PS & the only thing out of whack is the -5 volts, which is dead, no reading at all. However, I don't believe that is an issue, 'cause according to my research, that circuit isn't in use in modern pc's.

This is a custom built Athlon XP 3200+. Not a new pc, but still useful. Where to look next, how to troubleshoot? Pull the mem sticks & see if it will boot? How many times will I be able to attempt booting before I hose the OS to the point of no return?

So that's where I'm at; mobo or ps, or possibly mem. got damaged? I have 2 ps testers which I used & as I said all is good there except for that -5 volt reading. So, I am calling the ps "good"? (I think)

Help me out guys!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cpumelter

cpumelter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2010 - 08:56 PM

Update -

I may be out of the woods here.

what I did -

Pulled the CMOS battery to reset BIOS. Booted into BIOS & reset everything to what it was supposed to be. Booted the pc > Verifying DMI Pool data - DMI success update and what do you know? It booted to the desktop! Guess I dodged the bullet this time around.

I really need to get a backup battery system on that pc...

Just wanted to post an update in case it may help anyone in the future.

Cheers :thumbsup:

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2010 - 12:54 PM

Thanks for posting your resolution...happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users