Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD when plugging USB devices

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Shadowdance

Shadowdance

• Members
  • 314 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 09 July 2010 - 04:05 PM

OK, I think something is wrong with my USB's and not with the device' drivers.

When I plug my Sony Cybershot DSC-W5 (if am not mistaken) in whichever of my USBs I get a BSOD regarding USBSTOR.SYS

I googled the drivers for my digicam and found that the drivers are already installed with Vista. (I have VistaOS Home Premium).

I uninstalled the usb ports from my dev manager and rebooted, no use.
I updated via Windows, no use.

Sometimes even my usb flash makes fuzz and BSOD regarding the same system file.

Bluescreen view log is:

==================================================
Dump File : Mini070910-01.dmp
Crash Time : 9/7/2010 20:08:29
Bug Check String : DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Bug Check Code : 0x000000d1
Parameter 1 : 0x013ef3be
Parameter 2 : 0x00000002
Parameter 3 : 0x00000000
Parameter 4 : 0xb8a3ed63
Caused By Driver : USBSTOR.SYS
Caused By Address : USBSTOR.SYS+2d63
File Description : USB Mass Storage Class Driver
Product Name : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Company : Microsoft Corporation
File Version : 6.0.6002.18005 (lh_sp2rtm.090410-1830)
Processor : 32-bit
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini070910-01.dmp
Processors Count : 2
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 6002
==================================================

I checked even for malware and viruses.

Why is this happening?

Last night I had a BSOD out of the blue, DATA_INPAGE_ERROR, is it relevant?

I 've chkdsk'ed /f and /r and it's okay since then,.

WIN 7 ULTIMATE EN, AMD Dual-Core A4-6320, 3.8GHz (Turbo 4GHz), MB: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. A55BM-E Rev X.0x, DDR3 SIN 1333 4GB, AMD Radeon HD 8370D, Realtek High Definition Audio,

Seagate ST500DM002-1BD142 500GB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 10 July 2010 - 11:49 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

Its worth a shot, but have you tried plugging your devices into the USB ports that are attached to the motherboard?

Sometimes the ones located on the front of the case will turn up errors saying to try using a USB port that supplies more power or faster data flow for your devices. It is common when the wiring running to the computers front panel does not supply enough current flow or data flow.

So try using a USB port that is directly soldered / mounted to the motherboard.

Do you have the legacy USB or USB option enabled in your computers BIOS setup utility? Having that option disabled will cause issues as well.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Shadowdance

Shadowdance
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 314 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2010 - 11:55 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

Its worth a shot, but have you tried plugging your devices into the USB ports that are attached to the motherboard?

Sometimes the ones located on the front of the case will turn up errors saying to try using a USB port that supplies more power or faster data flow for your devices. It is common when the wiring running to the computers front panel does not supply enough current flow or data flow.

So try using a USB port that is directly soldered / mounted to the motherboard.

Do you have the legacy USB or USB option enabled in your computers BIOS setup utility? Having that option disabled will cause issues as well.

I've tried many things, since we are talking for laptop all ports are attached on MB, right? But even not, got 3 ports and I tried all 3 with my digicam. Last night i ve plugged my flash usb and used it alright, nothing happened...

I dont have legacy usb option in my Bios, period so I guess that's not the problem.

Could it be just my camera? :thumbsup:

WIN 7 ULTIMATE EN, AMD Dual-Core A4-6320, 3.8GHz (Turbo 4GHz), MB: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. A55BM-E Rev X.0x, DDR3 SIN 1333 4GB, AMD Radeon HD 8370D, Realtek High Definition Audio,

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2010 - 12:03 PM

Okay sorry wasn't aware you had a laptop since you did not post the type of computer or its make and model number.

It could be the camera, I am curious if your USB ports and camera are compliant to each other. Is your camera device USB 1.0, 2.0 or 3.0? Does your USB ports support that same architecture?

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 Shadowdance

Shadowdance
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 314 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2010 - 12:07 PM

Okay sorry wasn't aware you had a laptop since you did not post the type of computer or its make and model number.

It could be the camera, I am curious if your USB ports and camera are compliant to each other. Is your camera device USB 1.0, 2.0 or 3.0? Does your USB ports support that same architecture?

You are right, I've the specs on my signature *blushes* I should post them individually too!

omg... now you are in another dimension. You are right I think... I use a USB 2.0 cable... a random one that suits my case, you know the small usb that gets attached on cam and the usual USB2.0 that gets into the laptop's port. Problem is I don't have another cable to try and this laptop doesnt have a card reader. Would that be the problem?

As far as I know the cam supports both USB1.0 and USB2.0 but if my cable is not right, this could muck the whole thing up?

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2010 - 01:11 PM

Far as I am aware the cable its self does not make a difference.

It has to do with the motherboards chipset and the devices hardware.

I do know if a compute has USB 1.0 and you try to use a USB 3.0 device on that port it won't work as it should.

Some older motherboards do not supply enough power to their USB ports to power up the newer hardware available out there today.

I usually don't aways pay attention to specs in signatures, because a lot of times posters may be posting about a laptop when their sig. says they have a desktop PC.

#7 Shadowdance

Shadowdance
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 314 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2010 - 08:44 PM

well the motherboard is newer than the camera that's for sure; cam is product of 2005 and laptop product of late 2007... :thumbsup:

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2010 - 08:51 PM

Do you have another computer handy you could try the camera out on and see if works ok?

#9 Shadowdance

Shadowdance
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 314 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2010 - 08:36 AM

Do you have another computer handy you could try the camera out on and see if works ok?

I have my best bud's comp. I will go there today and try it and reply with the result..

#10 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2010 - 01:37 PM

Okay thanks for the heads up, I'll be watching for your reply. :thumbsup:

Kind regards.

Bruce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users