Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware Software

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 SaxyLady

SaxyLady

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 09 July 2010 - 01:58 PM

I have about 40-50 PCs running Windows XP Professional and XP Home. The current Anti-Virus software we are using is Norton Internet Security 2010. We want to look at other options. Some of the options we are considering are: staying with Norton, McAfee, Trend Micro, Kaspersky, Microsoft Security Essentials. I am looking for some guidance in selecting the best program for our situation. Can anybody help??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blathnat

Blathnat

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2010 - 03:26 PM

With that many machines, it would be considerably cheaper for you to look into some of the corporate software versions rather than the retail offerings.

Symantec's store 3 for 2 promotion

Fixed tags to make link. ~rigel

Edited by rigel, 09 July 2010 - 07:29 PM.

#3 VirusHATER0808

VirusHATER0808

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 10 July 2010 - 03:56 PM

I'd recommend Kaspersky along side it with MSE, btw MSE isn't really one of the best stand-alone AV out there, even if its free, its more of a helping tool like Malwarebytes' AV

#4 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England

Posted 11 July 2010 - 05:01 PM

I'd say to go with either NOD32 or Kaspersky 2010/2011. MSE is good, but it often detects the stupid stuff that it doesn't need to. Kaspersky is known to leave a lot of malware (especially rogues), quite helpless and confused once it manages to get inside. And that's what we want to see! NOD32 is good for catching the hard to reach stuff. For example, it flagged something that had been hiding in the cache of my FTP client for the longest time that no one else saw! Fantastic, right?

Well hope this helps,
Chromebuster

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

#5 VirusHATER0808

VirusHATER0808

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2010 - 03:06 PM

I'd say to go with either NOD32 or Kaspersky 2010/2011. MSE is good, but it often detects the stupid stuff that it doesn't need to. Kaspersky is known to leave a lot of malware (especially rogues), quite helpless and confused once it manages to get inside. And that's what we want to see! NOD32 is good for catching the hard to reach stuff. For example, it flagged something that had been hiding in the cache of my FTP client for the longest time that no one else saw! Fantastic, right?

Well hope this helps,
Chromebuster

NOD32 FTW, I use it right now at home.

#6 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2010 - 04:00 PM

So then while we're at it, how do you like it? Would you say that it is worth the high recommendations that it gets?

#7 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2010 - 05:46 PM

ESET's NOD32 AV should meet your requirements with ease.
Effective, light on resources and easy to use!

NOD32 Business Edition (Medium)

Edited by ReviverSoft, 26 July 2010 - 05:48 PM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#8 jdbaker82

jdbaker82

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:20 AM

Hands down NOD32 is the best AV Suite out, I do virus removal for a living and nothing beats this.... Besides Combofix and MalwareBytes for spot removal of course :thumbsup:

#9 fgeelo

fgeelo

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:25 AM

does NOD32 automatically detect viruses on the fly much like AVG's resident protection?

#10 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2010 - 04:21 PM

^ Sure does. It features a real-time protection system.
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#11 fgeelo

fgeelo

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 29 July 2010 - 01:05 AM

i was on eset's website where you are able to compare NOD32 to the other anti-virus out there and apparently NOD32 had only a 1% higher detection rate than AVG? o.O

http://www.eset.com/home/compare-eset-to-competition

Edited by fgeelo, 29 July 2010 - 01:05 AM.

#12 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2010 - 01:30 AM

Very strange. You'd think that with all the tests they have had, they'd be ahead of everyone else. but again, you can't always go by what the tests say. Those are more for competitive purposes in the companies rather than for us to be looking at. Why do you think certain organizations make you pay $175 just to view that content?

#13 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2010 - 09:18 AM

I have about 40-50 PCs running Windows XP Professional and XP Home. The current Anti-Virus software we are using is Norton Internet Security 2010. We want to look at other options. Some of the options we are considering are: staying with Norton, McAfee, Trend Micro, Kaspersky, Microsoft Security Essentials. I am looking for some guidance in selecting the best program for our situation. Can anybody help??

If you are looking for a business use them Microsoft Security Essentials won't cut it in a domain environment. You would want Microsoft Forefront Client Security.

I would also consider upgrading those systems to Windows 7 if it can be afforded. Windows XP SP2 is no longer supported.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users