Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2 PC's to 1 Scanner... with a twist.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 TheGreyGuy

TheGreyGuy

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 09 July 2010 - 01:39 PM

OK,
1) I have 2 XPSP3 PC's physically right next to each other with 2 KB’s, 2 Mice and 2 Monitors - and physically using the same infrastructure.
2) PC1 is attached to the Domain1 with all associated Domain1 stuff... DC’s DHCP, DNS, etc. I am an Admin.
3) PC2 was set up by another agency… on Domain2 with all associated Domain2 stuff. I am NOT an admin.
4) Of course, the two Domains are NOT the “Trusting” sorts.

Query… how can I, the lowly computer support guy, connect both of these PC’s to one Epson V700 Photo scanner? It has 1 USB and 1 FireWire port. Neither PC has FireWire.

A Google search found this link...

http://www.usbswitch.com/usb_manual_2port.html

The video example shows him switching between laptops sharing a scanner. Does anyone have feedback about, or at least used, a USB Switch? (He says cautiously optimistic. :thumbsup: )
This job would be sooo much easier if wasn't for all the users and their problems!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JUICYboy

JUICYboy

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 10 July 2010 - 02:23 PM

Very simple you need a 2-1 usb printer switch :huh:

Go here to see what im talking about>
http://sewelldirect.com/Manual-USB-Share-S...=53572d38383535

The one in this example is manual meaning you got to manually select what port. Belkin makes a couple that are "automatic"
You can also get a 4-1 but if you have 2 pc's a 2-1 will do. :thumbsup:

Edited by JUICYboy, 10 July 2010 - 02:25 PM.

#3 TheGreyGuy

TheGreyGuy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 15 July 2010 - 12:40 PM

OK, some good info here. Apparently the "Powers-That-Be" are not interested in a quick fix... no one will actually approve the $20 PO. :thumbsup: Give me a break! Oh well, we've done what we can do. I'm gonna call this one done. Thanx all!
This job would be sooo much easier if wasn't for all the users and their problems!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users