Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows home network issue

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 kvon

kvon

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 09 July 2010 - 01:21 PM

Have got 2 machines networked with windows workgroup, 1 is XP, the other is Win 7. Working fine.

Both machines have a wireless and ethernet connection, and I have them connected with a Cat 5 crossover cable. Do a lot of file sync-ing, and want to use the wired connection for the transfers because it's a LOT faster. Problem is - if I fire up the machines with the cable already connected, the workgroup/network seems to default to the wireless connection. So, 2 questions: 1) Is there a way to force the workgroup to use the wired connection by default, and 2) if not, how can I release the IP address of the secondary machine from the wireless link and reassign or re-establish the link with the wired connection? Note - I just found myself in this situation, and if I disable the wireless card on the secondary machine the system will eventually re-establish the link over the wired connection. But it takes several minutes...

Thanks in advance...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 11 July 2010 - 07:21 PM

This one isn't too hard. On each machine select the wired interface, and IP properties. Set the IP address to manual and choose a different subnet than your wireless network, say 192.168.5.0 for example. Set one PC to 192.168.5.1 and the other to 192.168.5.2, with a 255.255.255.0 mask. You don't need the gateway or DNS entries, as you will use the wireless network for everything "outside". Save everything and connect your crossover cable. When you set up your file transfer use the "new" IP address of the other machine and transfer away. Be careful not to turn on Internet Sharing on either machine, or especially both, as bad things will happen. (Your network will rapidly degrade to a crawl.) Your PC will know to send all traffic to the 192.168.5.x subnet to the wired port, and everything else to the wireless network.

Poof! File transfer network.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users