Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop running real slow

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 macdadluke23

macdadluke23

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 09 July 2010 - 12:55 PM

I have a hp laptop running vista today it is running slow, any program i try to run takes forever for example internet explorer takes about 2-3 minutes to load. FYI my laptop was working fine yesterday and i did not installed anything. Also i ran combofix and my norton 360 to see if i have any virus but they both did not find anything.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,486 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2010 - 01:34 PM

Also i ran combofix

This is just for future reference and members! I am not scolding you in any way. :huh:

ComboFix usage, Questions, Help? - Look here

Unlike what many people think, Combofix is not a fix-all program that's just "run and done". It is a highly specialized tool that should only be used under the supervision of an expert. It's not an "everyday use", clean-all program.

If you suspect malware, please post a new topic in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs sub-forum, with a description of the issues you are having and the contents of the log file (copy and paste the contents of the log into your topic, don't attach it). Please note: the Malware Response team are always overwhelmed, and it could take a few days to get your first reply. Just be patient and don't "bump" your topic by replying to it. You will also likely be scolded for running Combofix without supervision.

If you don't suspect malware and just ran Combofix for no good reason, please uninstall it by typing the following into the "Run" box and pressing Enter: combofix /uninstall

See if this thread will help you: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...mputer&st=0
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 VirusHATER0808

VirusHATER0808

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 10 July 2010 - 04:03 PM

You should check your processes to see if anything looks weird and out of place that hogs up all the memory. Sometimes it might be the SVCHOST.EXE Process that hogs them up.

#4 zbd

zbd

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 10 July 2010 - 04:52 PM

Since it worked fine yesterday, do a system restore to before you had problems. And I would ditch the Norton antivirus in favor of Avira or Avast free antivirus.

http://service1.symantec.com/support/tsgen...005033108162039

http://www.free-av.com/

#5 macdadluke23

macdadluke23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2010 - 11:25 AM

I try to do system restore but the only restore point is the day when my computer started running slow. The good news that i Know its one of the services that is running that is causing the slowness because i disable all of them which i have 125 services that were running at the time. My question is can some one tell me what services i need to have and the ones i dont need to have running

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 11 July 2010 - 11:41 AM

Since the slowness happened overnight, surely, it can't be related to your current startups, or services running. They ran yesterday as well and everything was fine.

I suggest, you post in "Am I Infected?" forum.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users