Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The Circus...Is Over

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 09 July 2010 - 12:47 PM

Now that the circus which the media and Lebron James created...is over...I find it necessary to express some thoughts.

I never thought that anything that transpires in the world of sports...was worth more than friendly, meaningless banter or self-indulgence in entertaining oneself, so I am somewhat surprised at myself. I feel more strongly about this than I initially thought such would merit...and much of it has nothing to do at all with one's person right to choose employment...which is what "free agency" is about.

To be honest, I find myself highly annoyed at two entities and I'm not sure which is more at fault.

Those idiots that we laughingly refer to as "the media"...I call them "the self-serving media" are largely responsible for what I feel has been a very shabby treatment of a sports organization, a city, and basketbally fans across the world.

But...it needed the complicity provided by Mr. James...to really drive this home in my mind.

I've been a basketball fan since I was 8 or 9, 1954 or so. I enjoy all levels of basketball, from grade school thru professional. I've watched (in person) Bill Russell, Bill Sharman, Oscar Robertson, Wilt Chamberlain and others of those eras...perform their trade in St. Louis, before St. Louis decided it could not support a pro basketball team and the Atlanta inherited the Hawks.

I've seen petulant players of all sorts and witnessed all sorts of shameful behaviors in the world of sports...from Garry Templeton giving the crowd at Busch Stadium the finger...to Ron Artest and company going into the stands after fans in a brawl.

I've seen basketball players make all sorts of infantile comments and foolish requests, as their egos overcame their better judgment.

I've never seen anything like the circus which "the media" conspired to bring to the public...like the "Lebron James free agency."

To begin with...the media shamelessly showed us last year what their intent was. That intent was to create stories that had less substance than a rumor might have...and use that to create empty words when they might possibly be expected to do some "investigative work" or some "reporting" or even some plain old "sportscasting".

Soooo...it became a common item for a "sportscaster/analyst/announcer" (I call them mouth-jockeys) to always bring up the pending free agency status of one Lebron James.

Was this the first basketball free agent ever? Ummmm, no.

Was free agency something that doesn't happen routinely in the NBA? Ummm, no...happens every years, as contracts expire for certain players.

Soooo...why the interest in the free agency/contract of Mr. James?

The ostensible line...was that...Lebron James would be the "most coverted free agent ever"...which is quite a statement for anyone who knows any basketball at all. OK, let's assume that he actuall WAS the most coveted...what makes his case any different than all the other former and future "basketball greats"?

The answer has to be...that Lebron James was exploitable...and willing to indulge in exploitation with the media...which resulted in a circus-like atmosphere where many paths...nay, many false paths....could be postulated, at will...by Mr. James and the media. Those false paths led to Cleveland, New York, New Jersey, Chicago, etc. and were planted...merely for the purpose of being deceptive.

In the history of the NBA...had this ever been done before? I don't think so. Contract negotiations don't usually make headlines and are usually conducted sans a media-interpretation of what...might...be about to take place. No...not ever...nothing like the hoax that Mr. James perpetrated upon unknowing fans everywhere.

Well...last night, the spell was broken...and King James is now seen for the character that he truly is.

I find myself looking at myself and asking...what did he do that I detest so much today?

I can only answer...that it was entirely unnecessary to perpetrate a fraud on the fans of Cleveland, New York, etc....if you wanted to play in Miami.

It was entirely unnecessary to drag out a decision...if the intent was to place oneself with a team capable of winning a championship. Particularly so, if you were ostensibly leaving such a team.

It was unnecessary to spit in the face of an organization which had given you the opportunity to become a millionaire...to become a world-wide sports figure, to become "The King"...and complain that said organization was at fault because you and your teammates could not do the job you were paid to do...on the court. This organization...built it's empire around you...and then you decide to walk away because...you and your teammates could not do the job.

What idiocy and irresponsibility!

Well...the popcorn stand has now been shut down. Intelligent human beings who understand a little about what has transpired...are pretty disappointed in Mr. James today.

And it's not so much that he wanted to play for a different team that is the problem...as much as the conspiracy with a pandering bunch of clucks who call themselves "journalists"...that leaves a very bad taste in my mouth today.

The good news...it won't happen again.

I'm a Texan...I feel very bad for the humans who live in Ohio, who realized how much had been constructed around this James fellow.

He could have been a man...and indicated months ago...what is patently clear to anyone with eyes. He had no intent at all...of ever playing beyond the 2009-2010 season in Cleveland. He had no intent at all of playing in New Jersey...or New York...or Chicage...or any of the other self-created rumored locations which "the media" popped out on a sometimes daily basis.

I understand that the mouth-jockeys...have to maintain the fact that someone pays them while the uninformed are at their mercy. But...I don't understand how someone who wants to be known as King James...behaved in such tawdry manner...for such a long time.

The smallness that I have seen...doesn't diminish his basketball skills. He is still one of the best when it comes running up and down a BB court. I just feel that it's too bad that he doesn't have skills required to be a man...that should be reserved for someone known as "King James".

Louis

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 09 July 2010 - 10:10 PM

Interesting. I could disagree on several posts but I had better not. We'll see if the lebron dog and pony show does anything other than get him paid. He folds under pressure.

#3 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2010 - 08:43 AM

Isn't he effectively taking a pay cut by going to Miami?

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#4 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,698 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2010 - 09:37 AM

Not really. Theres no income tax in Florida, which may have influenced his decision.
To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

#5 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 11 July 2010 - 02:01 PM

I live very close to Cleveland. It sure was a dog and pony show. One of the biggest radio stations around WTAM 1100 is still all day long and all knight long talking about the James thing except for a baseball game. They just can't shut up about this damn thing. It's over get on with your cities life.

#6 TimYH

TimYH

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2010 - 09:29 AM

On the income tax, Lebron won't be taxed on games he plays in the State of Florida. He will be taxed whenever he goes on the road else where. It does save him a good deal of money though. However the Cav's could have offered him much more money then Miami could have. But then again I really did not see Lebron staying in Cleveland anymore. They really failed to attract any talent that could give Lebron a hand.

I always liked Miami and I felt Dwayne Wade was a quality player who was plagued by the fact he had almost no supporting cast. As long as Miami doesn't become the Lebron show I will be happy. I really don't enjoy one man teams. They get boring after a while and they don't win championships.
I like to think I know a bit about computers, I apologize if my advice is not sound or clear. I try my best to give good answers.

Line of Defense
aVast! | Comodo | Malwarebytes

#7 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,698 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2010 - 11:48 AM

Ahhhh... I don't care where he plays, the Celtics got his number.
To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users