Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Media Files Not Playing

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mgerstley

mgerstley

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 18 October 2005 - 10:24 AM

After my computer has been on for a couple hours, music files refuse to play in iTunes. There is no error message, just when i click on the song nothing happens. I tried to see of Windows Media Player works and the file says that it is playing but there is no sound. When i try videos with Windows Media Player, the video starts to play and then shuts off. When i reboot everything seems to work fine, but i would like to solve the problem because rebooting sucks. I am running Windows XP Pro with Mcaffe Securit Center on a Dell that is 3 months old. Thanks for the help in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2005 - 11:25 AM

How long has this problem been going on? Have you added any hardware or software lately?

One thing to check go into device manager and see if sound card or other hardware have red or yellow marks next to them. If so right click and select uninstall, reboot and let Windows find the "new" hardware and reinstall it.

#3 mgerstley

mgerstley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2005 - 11:39 AM

How long has this problem been going on? Have you added any hardware or software lately?

One thing to check go into device manager and see if sound card or other hardware have red or yellow marks next to them. If so right click and select uninstall, reboot and let Windows find the "new" hardware and reinstall it.

ok i will try that now. recently i have added my music library to the computer, which is about 20 gigs. the only other things i have added are ipod utilities such as ephpod and ourtunes. i have only noticed the problem in the last 2 or 3 days.

EDIT: also, my password protection does not function after the computer is on for a few hours. when i reboot, i am asked to enter a password, but when i go idle after a couple hours, there is no prompt to enter a password, the computer just goes directly to the desktop

Edited by mgerstley, 18 October 2005 - 11:44 AM.

#4 mgerstley

mgerstley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2005 - 12:00 PM

ok i checked my device manager and everything there was ok.

#5 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2005 - 04:10 PM

Well that makes hardware and software conflicts unlikely

Have you scanned for viruses and spyware/malware?

#6 mgerstley

mgerstley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2005 - 05:48 PM

Well that makes hardware and software conflicts unlikely

Have you scanned for viruses and spyware/malware?

i ran my virusscan and nothing came up, so i checked to make sure it was working through mcaffe's website, and it was.

#7 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2005 - 02:35 PM

Do you have a spyware scanner?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users