Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Loading PBR for Descriptor 2 ... Done. Failed.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 thekops

thekops

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 09 July 2010 - 11:07 AM

I came home the other day and found my computer would not wake up so I had to turn it off. Now, when it starts up I get "Loading PBR for descriptor 2... Done. Failed." I've been searching on the net and find quite a variety of solutions. I cannot get into Safe Mode using F8. I can use F2 and get into the bios. I used F12 for the boot menu and ran the Hard Drive Diagnostics which showed:

Drive 0: WDC WD1600ADFS-75SLR2 - Fail. Return Code: 7
Drive 1: ST332062AS - Pass
and several other drives for cd-rom and dvd

My specs are: Dell XPS 710, WinXP Pro.

This is my first post as a new member, so bear with me as I learn. Although I'm not new to 'fixing' computers for friends and family, I'd like to get some help on this one before I go about fiddling too much.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 angstfeardoubt

angstfeardoubt

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 09 July 2010 - 12:50 PM

Return Code 7 on your Drive 0 indicates a read failure during the diagnostics. There may be bad sectors or simply unreadable data on the sections where the diagnostic started reading. Could be a bad hard drive or just unreadable data sectors. But if your Hard Drive is more than 80GB in size, that result is unreliable. I suggest you run a more thorough diagnostic on your Drive 0 using Dell Diagnostics.

You may also perform chkdsk via Recovery Console by booting to your XP disk.

Edited by angstfeardoubt, 09 July 2010 - 01:03 PM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 09 July 2010 - 01:46 PM

Worth reading, http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...mp;docid=289265.

Louis

#4 thekops

thekops
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2010 - 09:36 PM

It's not looking good. I used my Dell ResourceCD and ran the 32 Bit Dell Diagnostics. Got some of the following errors (I believe on my 160GB hard drive 0):

SATA Disk S/N=WD-WMAP41433946 S.M.A.R.T. Long Self Test
Error Code 0F00:075D Msg: IDE defailed. The self-test failed the read portion of the test.

Continuing on gave me:

SATA Disk S/N=WD-WMAP41433946 Read Test
Error Code 0F00:0244 Msg Block 68544: Uncorrectable data error or media is write protected.

Continuing on gave MANY more blocks... 68545, 68546, 68547 etc.

SATA Disk S/N=WD-WMAP41433946 Seek Test
Error Code 0F00:0444 Msg Block 70014: Uncorrectable data error or media is write protected.

Continuing on gave a FEW more blocks... 70015, 80016, 80017, 90018, 95019.

I then tried booting with my XP CD. It took a long time "Inspecting..." before showing the blue "Windows Setup" screen. It was going through a few of its items when mid-way it gave me the Blue Screen Of Death (BSOD) with STOP: 0x0000007B (0XF78DA63C 0xC00000034, 0x00000000 0x00000000).

I have access to another bootable SATA disk drive. Would it be worth trying to run CHKDSK from that with my 160GB as the slave drive?

I also have a couple other recovery tools like BartPE and Ontrack Data Recovery.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:00 AM

That drive ID...draws no Google hits.

Go to Disk Management (Start/Run...type diskmgmt.msc and hit Enter) and post a screen shot, please, if possible.

Louis

#6 thekops

thekops
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2010 - 05:55 AM

Here is a screen shot from running my Dell Diagnostics CD (had to use a camera to capture the screen). The computer does not even get to the desktop for me to use the START button.

Attached Files

Edited by thekops, 21 July 2010 - 06:07 AM.

#7 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 21 July 2010 - 06:50 AM

I go to dell website and find out that your are not the only have that problem...
and lots of problem fixed by doing this...
1- Start up the computer and click F12 to give you the boot-up options.
2- Insert Windows Installation/Recovery CD into CDROM, choose CDROM boot option and click enter.
3- Let the installation process continue until it prompts you "Press R to repair". . .this should then take you into the DOS mode.
4- Type in FIXBOOT and when prompted, press "Y" to start creating the new boot partition. If everything goes right, you should get a message saying the partition was corrupted and a new one was created successfully.
5- Remove the CD and reboot your system, everything SHOULD be ok now.

it looks like the DELL recovery partition that hidden in your hardrive have a problem...

Edited by abauw, 21 July 2010 - 06:51 AM.

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#8 thekops

thekops
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2010 - 06:34 AM

I already tried using the CD on July 13th and got the blue screen of death (BSOD). I will try it again.

Edited by thekops, 22 July 2010 - 06:35 AM.

#9 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 22 July 2010 - 02:19 PM

does this still shown up???
Drive 0: WDC WD1600ADFS-75SLR2 - Fail. Return Code: 7
if yes..cant you tell me is this drive that installed OS was???
have you store important data in that drive??

about BSOD...can you more detail???

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#10 thekops

thekops
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2010 - 11:37 AM

I did not have much more information on the blue screen of death (BSOD), so I tried using my Recovery CD again to recreate it. But this time WAS able to get to the Recovery Console without getting the BSOD.

Ran CHKDSK as you first instructed (it took a long time, found and fixed one or more errors).

Ran FIXBOOT as directed and saw that "...the new boot was successfully written". Upon EXITing Recovery Console, the computer rebooted, but got stuck showing Bios Revision...F2-Setup...F12-Boot choices.

Turned it off. Then turned it on to see if it was fixed. Still get the "Loading PBR... failed".

I believe Yes, the Drive 0: WDC WD1600ADFS-75SLR2 is where my OS is.

And yes, I do have data on the drive I would like to save. Would I be better off taking the harddrive to someone that can recovery my data first? I know someone who can do that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users