Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Refusing To Boot: Windows Could Not Start Because The Following File Is Missing Or Corrupt:

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 B34R

B34R

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 18 October 2005 - 09:31 AM

Hey there I've been having a few problems with my computer recently. My computer has been regulary crashing. However it always booted. But recently my computer has to decided it won't boot at all. I have a feeling that my computer may have been shutdown incorrectly and thus the problem may not be linked to the random crashes which I believe to be the result of installing a new graphics card. However I cannot be sure of this. One thing I am sure of though is that I cannot do anything unless I can boot my computer. I've already posted on the possible graphics card issue here on this forum and made mention of this boot issue there, however I've now linked the no boot issue here, since it may be a seperate problem. The problem began when I started my computer this morning and got the following message.

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\windows\system32\config\system

You can attempt to repair this file by starting windows setup using the original setup CDROM
Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.

Only problem is I don't have my original setup CDROM. I wasn't given an XP disk. I have looked at various sites and have found that it is possible to make XP floppies. I have a friend who has a disk for upgrading Win98 to XP but I have a feeling this disk won't be of any use. If I have to use floppies will the repair process be made more difficult.

I have also noticed various methods to resolve the problem, however some sites say do a repair from disk and NEVER use the console, yet some say that you should use the repair console. Others say something about boot.ini files. Which method is right? If they are all right, then is there some sort of order I should try them in and are there places where a complete novice like me can look to. I'd like to note I can't afford to spend any money on resolving this problem. My house has a 5 comp network, so I have internet resources at my disposal. I would like to use these if at all possible. I would obviously like to retain all my files, but I have backed up my pictures, music etc on my secondary hard drive. I would also like to note that my operating system is on my FAT32 40gb hard drive.

Also trying to start in safemode gives me the following:

multi(0)disc(0)rdisc(0)partition(1)/WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/ntoskrnl.exe
multi(0)disc(0)rdisc(0)partition(1)/WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/hal.dll
multi(0)disc(0)rdisc(0)partition(1)/WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/KDCOM.dll
multi(0)disc(0)rdisc(0)partition(1)/WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/BOOTVID.dll
multi(0)disc(0)rdisc(0)partition(1)/WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/CONFIG/system
multi(0)disc(0)rdisc(0)partition(1)/WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/CONFIG/system.log

and then I get the boot error message as stated above. The message directly above was appearing when I tried to boot into safemode previously however before the boot error incident. I don't know whether this means anything to anyone.

I have also tried to start windows normally and restart with last known good settings. Neither of these worked.

Edited by B34R, 18 October 2005 - 10:04 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 B34R

B34R
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2005 - 02:06 PM

Does nobody know???

#3 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2005 - 02:17 PM

You need to get a windows disk or recovery disk to do repair. The repair is fairly simple then.

Sometimes the manufacturer will provide one if they did not provide it originally. Otherwise borrow one from a friend. Hopefully you do have your activation number, it may ask.

With those items

Put Windows XP disk in drive and make sure the boot order looks at the cd drive before hard drive. If not go into setup and change boot order.

When Windows load do not select "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R"

Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

Windows will then replace missing corrupted drivers.

There are other options but if you cannot boot at all, then is probably your best shot.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 18 October 2005 - 02:23 PM

Was the OS installed at a shop or was it a canned Walmart type computer (HP, Compaq,...)? If it was a shop maybe they would be kind enough to loan you the disk to recover your system (wouldn't bet on it). An off the shelf unit, you should be able to get/buy the disks from the manufactor.
Without the disk you are pretty much hosed.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 bluseychris

bluseychris

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 18 October 2005 - 02:41 PM

Do you remember if your computer came with a recovery floppy disk? It could be that all the stuff you need is located in a partion on your Hard disk, and you need to boot your computer from that floppy to acess it.

As for the crashes, sounds like you have dogy RAM. I'd sugest getting it checked out and possibly replaced.

#6 B34R

B34R
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2005 - 03:11 PM

First things first. I have no XP CD and getting hold of one is tricky. I may have a recovery CD, however this may wipe my hard drive. I'd like to avoid that if possible. What I have tried so far is the following:

I have tried my friends XP update CD, however this didn't seem to work.

Next I tried to make an XP recovery CD by downloading an ISO onto disc. I ensured that the disk had a boot option. This didn't work either. It simply ignored the disk.

Next I tried to make boot disks. I made 6 SP2 XP installation disks. I was given the impression I'd still be able to run the repair from here. The computer booted from the disks. However I got to disk 2 and was given the message "ntkrnlmp.exe could not be loaded. The error code is 7". So it appears that is out of the window. I was given the impression somewhere however that this process only works on NFTS. I have FAT32 on my operating system hard drive.

And yes I have ensured the hard drives boots last.

Any more ideas? Why don't the boot disks that I made work??

Thanks any help would be appreciated.

#7 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 18 October 2005 - 03:25 PM

This is usually indicative of a corrupted registry. You will NEED to get into recovery console, so you will NEED a system installation disk. It can be from any system that has the same version of XP that you have (i.e. Home or Pro) - does not have to be the same one that was originally installed on the system.

The Upgrade disk from your friend *should* work - just be sure you have your bios set to boot from the CD.

Then follow the procedure outlined here. Good luck!

Edited by ddeerrff, 18 October 2005 - 03:27 PM.

Derfram
~~~~~~

#8 flyingeagle

flyingeagle

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 18 October 2005 - 08:14 PM

Hey there I've been having a few problems with my computer recently. My computer has been regulary crashing. However it always booted. But recently my computer has to decided it won't boot at all. I have a feeling that my computer may have been shutdown incorrectly and thus the problem may not be linked to the random crashes which I believe to be the result of installing a new graphics card. However I cannot be sure of this. One thing I am sure of though is that I cannot do anything unless I can boot my computer. I've already posted on the possible graphics card issue here on this forum and made mention of this boot issue there, however I've now linked the no boot issue here, since it may be a seperate problem. The problem began when I started my computer this morning and got the following message.

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\windows\system32\config\system

You can attempt to repair this file by starting windows setup using the original setup CDROM
Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.

Only problem is I don't have my original setup CDROM. I wasn't given an XP disk. I have looked at various sites and have found that it is possible to make XP floppies. I have a friend who has a disk for upgrading Win98 to XP but I have a feeling this disk won't be of any use. If I have to use floppies will the repair process be made more difficult.

I have also noticed various methods to resolve the problem, however some sites say do a repair from disk and NEVER use the console, yet some say that you should use the repair console. Others say something about boot.ini files. Which method is right? If they are all right, then is there some sort of order I should try them in and are there places where a complete novice like me can look to. I'd like to note I can't afford to spend any money on resolving this problem. My house has a 5 comp network, so I have internet resources at my disposal. I would like to use these if at all possible. I would obviously like to retain all my files, but I have backed up my pictures, music etc on my secondary hard drive. I would also like to note that my operating system is on my FAT32 40gb hard drive.

Also trying to start in safemode gives me the following:

multi(0)disc(0)rdisc(0)partition(1)/WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/ntoskrnl.exe
multi(0)disc(0)rdisc(0)partition(1)/WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/hal.dll
multi(0)disc(0)rdisc(0)partition(1)/WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/KDCOM.dll
multi(0)disc(0)rdisc(0)partition(1)/WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/BOOTVID.dll
multi(0)disc(0)rdisc(0)partition(1)/WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/CONFIG/system
multi(0)disc(0)rdisc(0)partition(1)/WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/CONFIG/system.log

and then I get the boot error message as stated above. The message directly above was appearing when I tried to boot into safemode previously however before the boot error incident. I don't know whether this means anything to anyone.

I have also tried to start windows normally and restart with last known good settings. Neither of these worked.

Rule number one when trouble shooting a problem that did not exist prior to introduction of a new device: REMOVE THE DEVICE and install the previous device.

Check this link out and find out if it fixes your problem: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=269075. It is a complex solution. If this does not work for you because of no discs, there might be a work around.

#9 B34R

B34R
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2005 - 04:01 AM

This is usually indicative of a corrupted registry. You will NEED to get into recovery console, so you will NEED a system installation disk. It can be from any system that has the same version of XP that you have (i.e. Home or Pro) - does not have to be the same one that was originally installed on the system.

The Upgrade disk from your friend *should* work - just be sure you have your bios set to boot from the CD.

Then follow the procedure outlined here. Good luck!

Like I said neither the upgrade disk or the disk I burned using an ISO from the Net worked. I can't get anywhere with CD's and floppies fail after the second disk. And I have changed the boot order. See above for more details.

Edited by B34R, 19 October 2005 - 04:03 AM.

#10 B34R

B34R
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2005 - 07:31 AM

May be able to get the XP disk. May try it soon and keep you posted. Hopefully it will work. If it doesn't do you think its a sign that my hard drive has failed?

Cheers.

#11 bembry

bembry

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 20 October 2005 - 08:56 AM

May be able to get the XP disk. May try it soon and keep you posted. Hopefully it will work. If it doesn't do you think its a sign that my hard drive has failed?

Cheers.

:thumbsup: Let me know if that works because my computer does the same exact thing. But know it will
boot up but I do not have a start menu button on the Windows screen. Please let me know what you know about that.

#12 B34R

B34R
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2005 - 11:22 AM

Well I'm still waiting on that CD, but if it turns out that my hard drive is bust, is it possible to install an operating system on my second larger hard drive without wiping any info and programs already installed there or does installing an operating system automatically remove all info stored on that drive?

#13 B34R

B34R
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2005 - 12:15 PM

I've just had a little look on the internet about the "ntkrnlmp.exe could not be loaded. The error code is 7" issue and I'm more than a little confused. From what I've gathered its linked to ACPI being enabled or so say microsoft see here. Thing is I have no idea what any of this means and why it should be affecting my computer now and why it has never bothered me in the past. In fact I barely understand what microsoft are wittering on about. My main concern however is that this error will cause problems when using the XP CD-ROM, if I eventually get hold of it to do repairs, I have already had problems loading the set of 6 disks, with the error appearing on disk 2. This concern has been validated by comments I have read on other forums stating that this error prevented them loading the repair console. Can anyone add any input here, because it seems to me like I will not be able to carry out any repairs at all. If this were the case this would be a pretty ridiculous state of affairs. Any pointers would be great. As I said I can't replace anything. I haven't the money.

Thanks.

#14 Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 21 October 2005 - 12:27 PM

Well I'm still waiting on that CD, but if it turns out that my hard drive is bust, is it possible to install an operating system on my second larger hard drive without wiping any info and programs already installed there or does installing an operating system automatically remove all info stored on that drive?

You state the above ie; Possible to install another os on a larger drive.
Do you have another os?

#15 B34R

B34R
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2005 - 12:35 PM

No I only have the one OS which is on my 40gb drive. However I'm thinking surely there's something I can do short of ditching a 40gb drive which to my knowledge is working fine. I think the reason this whole problem may have arose is because of an improper shutdown, not a faulty hard drive. Also if I do put an OS on the 160gb drive I don't want to lose all my data, which is already stored on there. I have limited knowlege when it comes to installing OS's. I need to know what effect if any installing an OS on a drive with data already on it will do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users