Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google is redirecting me to ad sites and windows update site doesnt load

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 cksurfer

cksurfer

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 09 July 2010 - 08:12 AM

Just recently I have gotten something that I can not get rid of. I have been running Malewarebytes and it found a few things and I cleaned them, I also ran HouseCall and it found a few other things and proceeded with cleaning what that program had found. I have run Mcafee and malewarebytes several times and in safe mode and they are showing nothing is wrong at this point. I also tried to run combofix as a suggestion from another IT friend and got a blue screen after it installed the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console and will not run the scan and just goes to a blue screen. The only info that I wrote down during the process was from housecall from trendmicro when it found stuff called (Adw Maxifiles, Troj Fakeav.Smes, Expl_Passrec.A, Troj_Generic.ADV, Worm_Palevo.Au, JS_Agent.ADV) I have also run CCcleaner program to clean up any temp files.
Maleware found these
Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\avsoft (Trojan.Fraudpack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\ejedsdyu (Rogue.AntivirusSuite.Gen) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
Mcafee found something called Generic.dx(Trojan) and was deleted

Current Problem:
Everything seems to be ok except when browsing with IE8 and I do a search with google and then I click on the link and it takes me somewhere random usually an ad page or something with asklots.com in the address. If I right click the links in the google search and tell it to open a new tab they work just fine. Also if I go to the windows update site to check for windows updates I get a blank page. If I go to microsoft.com and click on the links to check for updates I get "The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the problem" with an error of "[Error number: 0x80072EFF]". My system is a Dell Optiplex 960 with Microsoft XP Pro SP3

Looking for some help in what my next steps should be. Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

Edited by cksurfer, 09 July 2010 - 08:20 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hurldog

hurldog

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 10 August 2010 - 08:20 AM

I have the same issue, have you found a resolution besides a reload? Thanks in advance!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users