Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop will not start after MoBo replacement

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jay18

Jay18

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 09 July 2010 - 07:13 AM

I have a Toshiba Satellite A75-S226 laptop. I replaced the motherboard, and now when I push the power button the cpu fans start and run for a few seconds then shut off. No POST, no HDD activity, nothing except the power light. The old MoBo had a defective power/battery charging circuit, but it would at least boot up and run. So I tried putting the cpu back in the old MoBo and it is now acting the same way. Is it possible that I have damaged the cpu? What else might cause this kind of problem?

Thanks for the help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 09 July 2010 - 11:42 PM

Some motherboards wont power up without CPU. You should clean the contacts of your CPU chip and make sure it is seated as it should.

#3 Jay18

Jay18
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2010 - 04:58 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. I have cleaned the contacts, and it appears that the cpu is snug as a bug. Still nada.

Any other thoughts? It's looking like I'll have to replace it.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2010 - 05:24 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

First a link to your owners manual in pdf format. http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su...mily=1073768663

That link also has other support information that you could use.

It is to my understanding, you dismantled this laptop to replace the main-board.

In rebuilding the system, did you take extra care to recheck those ribbon wires with the ZIF connectors to be sure everything is snug and making a full connection?

Laptops are one tedious device to assemble and it doesn't take much for one of those ZIF connectors to pop open breaking the connection.

I don't really think the problem you had with the other board may have caused the CPU to be fried. Or if it did, there had to be a serious short circuit somewhere.

Hope this helps.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 Jay18

Jay18
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2010 - 12:30 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I took it apart and booted it with everything disconnected...just MoBo and memory, removed from the casing. I still get the same result. Heatsink fans run for 4-5 seconds and shut off. I don't hear anything from the processor.

I agree that the old board probably didn't do this. I'm guessing I damaged it in the transfer, although I think I remember being careful. :thumbsup:

I'll take a look at the manual and see if there's any help in there.

Any other long shot ideas? I'm googling cpu's for this guy next. :flowers:

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2010 - 01:35 PM

Well there is the possibility the motherboard came with a defect.

I would think it came to you with some sort of warranty, is this correct?

If it did, I would RMA it and get a replacement with another one, if that's possible.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users