Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Plugging In AC causes complete shut down of computer

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Tommy Harris

Tommy Harris

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 09 July 2010 - 06:15 AM

Hey guys,
I currently have A Dell Studio 1535 laptop and today the AC charger plug fell out of the computer so I started to plug it back in the computer to which the computer shut itself off without any user interaction.

When i tried to switch the laptop back on it didn't start I had to take out the battery and insert it again before it would start up again.
I can't even complete a diagnostic because when i try to plug it in it switches off.

Any ideas or if u need more information please ask

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Jayson201_*

Guest_Jayson201_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 09 July 2010 - 06:30 AM

sounds like a damaged power supply.
How hard did it "fall" out of the laptop, if it was pulled out hard enough, you may have caused damage to the power supply unit that connects to the AC adapter.
Could, hopefully, just be the charger too damaged to work...
Have you tried different outlets?

If it's an internal hardware issue, it may need to go to the manufacturer for repairs

Edited by Jayson201, 09 July 2010 - 06:32 AM.

#3 Tommy Harris

Tommy Harris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2010 - 06:38 AM

it fell out just a little it got loose and then must of fallen out so it wasn't forced out.
It wouldn't be the charger being damaged I've had a new charger for about 2 months its a generic brand because dell didn't supply the original.
yeah I've tried different power outlets and still the same problem
and finally great thing about dell if you don't have warranty they won't touch it

thank you for taking time to help me out :thumbsup:

#4 Guest_Jayson201_*

Guest_Jayson201_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 09 July 2010 - 06:59 AM

it fell out just a little it got loose and then must of fallen out so it wasn't forced out.
It wouldn't be the charger being damaged I've had a new charger for about 2 months its a generic brand because dell didn't supply the original.
yeah I've tried different power outlets and still the same problem
and finally great thing about dell if you don't have warranty they won't touch it

thank you for taking time to help me out :thumbsup:

I gotta do something to stay awake ;)

#5 Tommy Harris

Tommy Harris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2010 - 07:05 AM

hehe yeah thats the way to do it

#6 Tommy Harris

Tommy Harris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2010 - 03:25 AM

anymore ideas? I seriously do not want to consider buying a new computer

#7 Tommy Harris

Tommy Harris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2010 - 06:55 AM

I found an example of what is happening to my computer on this youtube video however in this video when he pulls it out it turns off where as with me it switches off when you plug it back in.

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2010 - 07:17 AM

My question is lets say the laptop is off then you plug in the power adapter's plug, then start the laptop, does the laptop start up and work okay when it is done this way?

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#9 Tommy Harris

Tommy Harris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2010 - 07:22 AM

negatory and I may imply that if the charger is plugged in it is like the computer will not start at all

#10 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 10 July 2010 - 07:52 AM

First here's a link to download or view your owners manual and service manual http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...35/en/index.htm

Next this link is to the Dell recommended power adapters and batteries. You can purchase a new one through them. http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/categor...mp;chassisid=-1

You most likely damaged the wiring which goes into the plug that plugs into the laptop.

If you are handy with electronics, you may be able to cut the plug off the wire and solder on a new one, Radio Shack sells such plugs. However I must caution you, if you replace the plug and do not get the polarity correct, you can fry your laptop by having reversed polarity. You would really have to pay close attention as to which wire goes to which connector on the solder lugs.

It is probably better to just buy a new adapter from Dell that is recommended and rated for your laptop.

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#11 Tommy Harris

Tommy Harris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2010 - 07:57 AM

however if it was the adapter it wouldnt explain why the orginal charge i had didnt work either reason for not using the original the plastic is worn in an area and is potentialy unsafe to use.

Thanks for helping out btw

#12 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2010 - 08:38 AM

You're welcome for my help.

I read and re-read what your reply was, but now I am a bit confused with the way you worded it.

reason for not using the original the plastic is worn in an area and is potentially unsafe to use.

If you are saying the plastic on the plug's casing is worn, then that still means you have a damaged piece of hardware and it needs replacing. Which brings us back to going to the link I posted above to purchase a new adapter.

If however any damage has been done to the power socket on the laptop, that would mean you'll have to either have it repaired at a Dell certified repair shop, or if you are handy with electronics and a soldering iron, you could replace the female socket built into the laptop.

The service manual on the link I gave you above may show exploded views of the laptop and how to dismantle it to gain access to the power input circuit board.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 10 July 2010 - 08:39 AM.

#13 Tommy Harris

Tommy Harris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2010 - 08:51 AM

appologies im australian and i cant even speak english properly

So the laptop charger that originally came with the dell laptop had a major flaw with its design where, the plastic section behind the plug into the laptop bent and started to pretty much strip the plastic so you could see the wiring in the cable.

I recon that ill have to get it done by a professional cause im fairly bleep at soldering.

#14 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2010 - 10:56 AM

Okay, I understand now what you are describing.

I wish you luck and hope you find a good repair person who can perform the job right and get you up and running again.

Please keep us posted with the results.

Best of luck and kind regards. :thumbsup:

Bruce.

#15 Tommy Harris

Tommy Harris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2010 - 10:08 PM

yeah lets hope however this is the last time ill probably ever buy a dell thank you very much for your help and ill post the hopeful solution soon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users