Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Machine lockups with "Video hardware error"

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Herby

Herby

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 09 July 2010 - 05:43 AM

Machine info
ATI HD 5770 card, 1gig gddr5 mem
win7 home premium
i5 750 2.67ghz, 4gig DDR3, Asus P7P55 m/board, 2x samsung spinpoint F3s
PSU Coolermaster 460W

Had this machine a couple of weeks now and things started well...:huh: However about a week back I started getting "Video hardware error" - "A problem with your video hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly." Incidents hit 20 ish a day a couple of days back. I rolled it back to a time when there had only been 1/2 issues, clean installed latest ATI drivers. It locks up completely for maybe 10 secs, the screen goes a misty colour overall and the message that the device has recovered comes up.

I guess I'm looking for pointers/things to try really. I could rollback to the start and check it out then but would prefer not to have the hassle. It happens when the system is idle as well as when I'm browsing or whatever (not a gamer). (I have Hijackthis log and the like if it helps). There is a "feel" that it is something scheduled - something trying to update or something, very very roughly about three hourly or so.

I can supply any other info that folk consider relevant but there is relatively little installed now & even less actually running.

TIA
Herby

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 09 July 2010 - 02:08 PM

If this is a custom built machine, then you need to look at two possible causes the power supply being inadequate for the video card, or the video card failing.

If this is an OEM Machine then I would simply return it.

#3 Blathnat

Blathnat

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 09 July 2010 - 02:53 PM

They should have fixed it in the newer versions, but Intel has an IMEI incompatibility with Aero. I have the same issue, but I did a clean install of Win 7 after checking the compatibility on the Microsoft website, so I was aware of it. As long as I don't run Aero, I don't have a problem. About an hour after running an Aero desktop, the card fails.

I would suggest running the compatibility check so that you have something to back up your complaint, if this is the problem, in the case of a return.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 09 July 2010 - 03:06 PM

They should have fixed it in the newer versions, but Intel has an IMEI incompatibility with Aero. I have the same issue, but I did a clean install of Win 7 after checking the compatibility on the Microsoft website, so I was aware of it. As long as I don't run Aero, I don't have a problem. About an hour after running an Aero desktop, the card fails.

I would suggest running the compatibility check so that you have something to back up your complaint, if this is the problem, in the case of a return.

He is not using an Intel Card, he is using an ATI Radeon 5770 card, 1gig gddr5 mem. A card that should run Aero flawlessly.

#5 Herby

Herby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2010 - 03:27 AM

Appreciate the thoughts folk

By way of update. I just went for nearly 24 hours with no incidents after removing some Firefox addins and disabling updating FF (there was regularity in the lockups suggesting something like that). I then re-installed noscript addin and got a lockup with 15 mins. Seems daft to me that an addin such as this can cause such havoc but...?

Cheers
Herby

#6 Herby

Herby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2010 - 11:42 AM

A few hours on and the addin re-enabled and no lockups. The graphics card starts looking rather suspect I think.

Cheers
Herby

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users