Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Shared Folders - Windows XP

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 deftone

deftone

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 09 July 2010 - 05:06 AM

Hi there,

So, we have a Windows network (2003 server with XP Pro clients). Each department has their own shared 'common' folder, however each subfolder may have different rights, ie. people in the same department would have either read, or full access to folders.

Now the problem is this: Say a user has Read-only access to a a particular folder, but requires full access to one of the files inside that folder. From the security properties of the file, I go in advanced and untick 'inherit from parent..etc' so that it will stop inheriting the read access of the folder. Then I give modify access to the user on that file.

Now this works fine and dandy for a while until I get a call from the user who says that they cannot save the file. I go to check for myself in the file permissions, and it will be in fact back to read-only. From what I can figure out, it resets its permissions when someone else (who has full access) saves the file, however I have not been able to reproduce this.

My current work-around for users is to just put the files they need to modify in their own subfolders. That way I can adjust permissions from the folders, which are not 'magically' reset.

Can anyone shed some light on this, maybe I might be missing something?

Thanks!

Edited by hamluis, 09 July 2010 - 04:30 PM.
Moved from XP to Win 2003, etc. forum ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 10 July 2010 - 01:28 PM

You have changed the file attribute for the one user but when the file is changed by another user that has access and then saved the OS looks at it like a new file and the permissions are reinforced from the folder level. The reason they may be able to save it multiple times is when they save it they are the owner so they automatically have full control rights and in between no other user has accessed it. This is why using permissions on a file level is not recommended.

Your best bet is to either one of two things. Stick with what you are doing using folders to isolater the files they need to access. Another option is to take a look at your group structure. How critical are the files in this folder? Taking into account the whole least right thought could the users be added to a group that gives then modify access to that folder? If not then the way you are doing it now is the correct way.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 deftone

deftone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 12 July 2010 - 09:51 AM

Hi Baltboy

Thanks for your reply. We do have sub-groups within departments, example clerks and managers, but there are so many specific file requests that we cannot cater for everyone.

I guess I'll have to keep using the current system of isolating files inside other folders.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users