Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to prevent AV Suite malware infection?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mdx

mdx

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 08 July 2010 - 08:07 PM

Hey Guys-

We have 3 computers at home. In the past week, 2 computers have been infected with the AV Suite malware, rendering them nonfunctional. I followed all the tips here using rkill, safe mode, & malwarebytes to remove them. However, there is stilll a google redirect issue that I've given up on trying to eradicate. Therefore, I will be backing up all my documents and re-formatting both hard drives this weekend. I just can't be confident that everything is clean since we do online banking and I don't want any info stolen.

Anyways, I'm still not sure how these viruses got in. All computers had Symantec, all scheduled windows updates, and spybot. My elderly parents used the 2 computers and all they do is read CNN, youtube, and check gmail (they didn't open any anonymous emails). They don't do any type of downloading either.

I've searched all over and I can't find any solid information on how to PREVENT this virus from infecting. How does it infect a computer without permission?

p.s. I hope the person who created this virus dies a slow and painful death.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 08 July 2010 - 08:23 PM

The only possible explanation is that someone unknowingly (rogue programs are meant to deceptive) downloaded the file onto the computer and allowed the file to bypass the security alerts, if any.

Once the program is installed, there is nothing much you can do, than to pray that MBAM and other malware/spyware removal software do a good job.

The best you could do, is look up anything remotely suspicious, before you accept/run/download the file. :thumbsup:

And if you do decide to download it, scan the installation(setup) file before you proceed any further.

In your case, this example should shed some light:
Posted Image
^ See what the results suggest?

Edited by ReviverSoft, 08 July 2010 - 08:30 PM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users