Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lexmark printer driver problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 AustinTerry

AustinTerry

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 08 July 2010 - 06:18 PM

When I boot up into XP, I have been getting a pop up message saying "Error Loading C:Windows\System32\spool\drivers\W32x86\3\lxcytime.dll The specified module could not be found."

Now I know it should not be trying to load at startup and the only thing running in msconfig startup is my CA anti-virus. In services.msc, the only thing I see related to Lexmark is lxcy_device and it is set to manual.

First of all, I am wondering if dual booting XP (orig OS) with Win7 64bit might be causing the problem. Could the 64bit Win7 drivers be overriding the XP drivers somehow? I do not have any driver issues when booting into Win7, and it seems this started happening shortly after installing Win7.

I have tried completely uninstalling the Lexmark software, using Revo so I was able to clean any leftover remnants, uninstalling the driver in device manager, reinstall the software with the CD (a couple of times), and it still keeps popping up.

Any other ideas out there?

Thanks...

Terry

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,301 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2010 - 07:00 PM

As a former user of Lexmark printers...I can tell you that there are all sorts of software functions now installed.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/sear...=clnk&gl=us

Msconfig...is not a startup manager and does NOT reflect all items which initiate at boot. Never has, never will. It's designed to be tool for use when attempting to troubleshoot Windows startup problems.

If you want to see all startup items...take a look at something like AutoRuns for Windows - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx. Once you realize that this is too much data, take a look at the Logon tab for the items generally construed as "startups" and which are not related to some other vital O/S function.

Louis

#3 AustinTerry

AustinTerry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2010 - 07:24 PM

Thanks Louis,

but the google link to the file.net page, didn't tell me anything about why I'm getting the error message, and I'm not going to click on the "free scan". Been there, done that before...

I forgot about autoruns, I have it on my older computer and have used it in the past.

But from what your file.net page says, "The process starts when Windows starts (see Registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run)"
then that sounds like it is supposed to start during bootup. So if I use autoruns to disable it, did that fix the problem, or just worked around it?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,301 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2010 - 08:40 AM

File.net webpages...like any other link provided...are not provided to suggest use of any advertised products/services. The page is provided because it lists summary info about something which a user has inquired about.

As for using autoruns...if you post a screenview of your Logon tab...then maybe I can answer your question.

In my world...working around a problem in ComputerLand...is often equivalent to "fixing" it in that the negative aspects of such are eliminated. For example...malware cannot be fixed...but it can be neutralized, thus eliminating the potential problem on a system.

Louis

#5 AustinTerry

AustinTerry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2010 - 10:04 AM

Understood...

I know how to use Autoruns... I just haven't used it in so long, I completely forgot about it.
I did find the problem in the logon section and unchecked it, I'll go back and delete the entry later, now that I know it cleared the problem.

Don't know what actually happened to the file it was looking for, but as long as everything works, I guess I'm good with that.

So sounds like we can consider this solved...

Thanks again Louis.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,301 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2010 - 10:45 AM

Easily done, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users