Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

interesting find in the sound Forge manual

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 08 July 2010 - 05:53 PM

Hi folks,
I'm an enthusiast, as you probably know by now, and I have a question. I was reading through the manual for sound forge the other night, and I discovered lots of references to the Nyquist frequency. Does anyone here know what that is, and does it have anything to do with audacity's menu choice Nyquist prompt? any explanation or input would be great.

Thanks,
Chromebuster

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 08 July 2010 - 06:22 PM

Hi, the Nyquist frequency is half the sample rate of a digitally encoded signal. That's the highest audio frequency that the sampling can describe unambiguously - the common example is the CD 44.1 KHz rate, for which the Nyquist frequency is 22.05 KHz.

The Nyquist prompt in Audacity accesses a programming language to control effects processing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyquist_frequency

http://wiki.audacityteam.org/index.php?tit..._Nyquist_Prompt

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 chromebuster

chromebuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 11 July 2010 - 02:40 PM

Coolio. I'll definitely be watching out for that now. My last couple of recordings were botched, and I don't know if that has to do with that particular thing or not, but it very well could. And by the way, is Audacity a good editor to have alongside Sound Forge?

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users