Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Home Premium Svc Pack 2 - General slowness

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Phlimm

Phlimm

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 08 July 2010 - 05:12 PM

I have a Dell Inspiron E1505 running Vista Home Premium SP 2. Overall it has slowed down and been not as responsive as I would expect. Also, I am not certain that it is running all the hardware to best potential. For example, I have seen sites that refer to this laptop as running higher resolutions than I am capable of selecting.

This laptop was given to me in its current state so I do not know a lot about all of the programs on it or any real history of problems it may have encountered.

I would like to run a system diagnostic type test and then any needed changes can be made to it to help performance.

Other issues -

1) IPod will not safely disconnect from either the Windows interface (Safely remove hardware) or from ITunes (9.2). I have to do a system restart and unplug it when the initial boot screen comes up

2) On occasion on bootup, I get a message saying that I do not have to proper power supply, so system performance will be slower and the battery will not charge. The battery icon in the tray says "Plugged in, charging" but of course it is not charging and it is at 0% so I cannot boot with battery power.

Not sure if this is the proper location to post this sort of message, and also not sure if I need to post Hijack This logs or anything yet.

Thanks in advance for the help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2010 - 10:06 PM

This laptop was given to me in its current state

The best option for any used computer is to restore it to factory settings and see how it goes.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#3 Phlimm

Phlimm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2010 - 11:28 PM

This laptop was given to me in its current state

The best option for any used computer is to restore it to factory settings and see how it goes.

Yeah, that's not gonna happen. I've been using it for close to 8 months now without problems. It has just been recently that this has come to light. Redoing the system as a whole will mean that stuff will get lost (there always is) and I am really not up for a full system reinstall. Honestly it has taken me this long to get it configured to the way I want it.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2010 - 11:34 PM

Please, post some computer info:
- processor type, amount of RAM (hold Windows logo key, hit Pause/Break key)
- hard drive size/free space (open "My Computer", right click on hard drive letter, click "Properties")
- security programs in use (antivirus, firewall)

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#5 Phlimm

Phlimm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2010 - 12:25 AM

Dell Inspiron E1505
Windows Vista Home Premium
Intel Core 2 CPU T5500 @ 1.66 GHz 1.67 GHz
2 GB RAM
32 bit OS
C Drive is 100 GB with 28 GB free
D Drive is 10 GB (partitioned from C) with 6 GB free
Using AVG Free version 8.5.441 as anti virus
Also has Windows Defender on
Also running Spybot-SD Resident from Spybot 1.6.0.30
Firewall is combination of hardware in the router and Windows firewall
Am on a wired connection as there is not a wireless card installed (that I could ever detect)

Edited by Phlimm, 09 July 2010 - 12:26 AM.

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2010 - 12:34 AM

I suggest, you start new topic in malware forum to see, if your computer is 100% clean.

My Website

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users