Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Registered To?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Adam315

Adam315

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 18 October 2005 - 07:58 AM

I deal with alot of computers given to me from various people. Is there a way so that i can change how the system recognizes it being registered to?

Meaning if i goto system properties, where it says Registered to . _________ .

Im sure its in the registry keys somewhere, but does anyone know the specific path?, or another location that will do this?

Thanks for the help.

Adam

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2005 - 11:52 AM

'Tis easy, my friend!

Get the program New Owner. Allows you to change the owner's name, etc.

EDIT: I had a link to the download on this post, but then I realized they were going to chage you good money for the download, so I removed the link. I am now searching for a better link. I will put the new link in this post as soon as I locate it.

ANOTHER EDIT: Ok, here is a link to the download. I cannot say how safe it is as I am not familiar with the website. The download link is about 1/2 way down the page.

Click the red x ----> X <----

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 18 October 2005 - 12:05 PM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 Adam315

Adam315
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2005 - 12:26 PM

'Tis easy, my friend!

Get the program New Owner. Allows you to change the owner's name, etc.

EDIT: I had a link to the download on this post, but then I realized they were going to chage you good money for the download, so I removed the link. I am now searching for a better link. I will put the new link in this post as soon as I locate it.

ANOTHER EDIT: Ok, here is a link to the download. I cannot say how safe it is as I am not familiar with the website. The download link is about 1/2 way down the page.

Click the red x ----> X <----

Albert, thank you for your reply. I actually found the registry keys that are needed. (this is taken from an article, and is not my own work) (actual article can be found here : http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article02-021 )

Change the Registered User Information

Intended For
Windows XP
Windows 2000
Windows Me
Windows 98
Windows 95

Once you've installed Windows, you can change the Registered Owner, Registered Organization, or Product ID to anything you want. Here's how you do it:
Windows 95/98*Grinler

Run the Registry Editor (REGEDIT.EXE).
Open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SOFTWARE\ Microsoft\ Windows\ CurrentVersion.
To change the values of the RegisteredOrganization, RegisteredOwner, or ProductId, simply double-click on them.

Note: This will only change the registered user information for Windows, not for the applications on your system.
Windows 2000/XP

Run the Registry Editor (REGEDIT.EXE).
Open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SOFTWARE\ Microsoft\ Windows NT\ CurrentVersion.
To change the values of the RegisteredOrganization, RegisteredOwner, or ProductId, simply double-click on them.

Note: This will only change the registered user information for Windows, not for the applications on your system.

#4 flyingeagle

flyingeagle

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 18 October 2005 - 08:22 PM

THIS FROM MICROSOFT: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310441

MORE INFORMATION
When you install Windows, Setup requests that you enter your name, and optionally, the organization name. This registration information is displayed under Registered to in the General tab of System when you click Start, click Control Panel, click Performance and Maintenance, and then click System.

To change your name and company information after Windows is installed on your computer, follow these steps:

WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.
1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
3. Locate the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion
4. To change the company name, do the following:

In the right pane, double-click RegisteredOrganization. Under Value data, type the name that you want, and then click OK.
5. To change the name of the registered owner, do the following:

In the right pane, double-click RegisteredOwner. Under Value data, type the name that you want, and then click OK.
6. Click Exit on the File menu to quit Registry Editor.

REFERENCES
For additional information about installing Windows XP, click the article numbers below to view the articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
286463 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/286463/EN-US/) Release Notes for Windows XP Setup Contained in the Pro.txt File
306824 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306824/EN-US/) Release Notes for Windows XP Setup Contained in the Home.txt File

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users