Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

msconfig missing

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Cdntiger

Cdntiger

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 08 July 2010 - 12:57 PM

Hi there,
I just recently did a malware clean on an acer computer running windows vista -32bit running sp2. I was finishing off the clean and was trying to go about just managing some of the startup items, when I noticed that the msconfig file was missing right out of the /system32 folder. I have done a complete and thorough check to see if I could find it anywhere else on the computer, but it seems that the malware has gone and deleted it. This is not my computer, so I'm not sure of any prompts or messages the owner received prior to giving me the computer to cleanup. By complete and thorough, I mean that I have searched all of the hidden files and system files, and I even tried to run it from the dos prompt.
I'm not really concerned with the "how did this happen?". All I need help with is "how do I get this back?". Any help that anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 doinmeedin

doinmeedin

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 08 July 2010 - 01:59 PM

Try typing in "run" msconfig.exe and see what happens, if no joy you'll have to wait for one of the more experianced members of the forums to help you out, as this is usually due to malware taking the folder out, or preventing it from running !

Edited by doinmeedin, 08 July 2010 - 02:00 PM.

If life is not an option then why are we not given the option in the first place !

#3 kennzsniper

kennzsniper

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 08 July 2010 - 02:14 PM

Experienced this once on windows 7. Download autoruns and search for msconfig there is often a start up item hidden that disallows you access to msconfig regedit even the freakin autoruns..
Hardware tech when I was in college.
1st job was a network support for SOHO
2nd job was lappy tech
3rd Job way out of my league but its nice...

#4 Cdntiger

Cdntiger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 08 July 2010 - 04:49 PM

Thanks for all of the suggestion, I did try them and still had the issue unresolve. So I grabbed a coffee to relax and ponder the situation a bit. I then came to the realization that maybe the file was the only thing missing and all of the registry information would still be there. So I tried just copying the msconfig.exe file right from another computer running the same version of windows and pasted into the /system32 directory...and voila, it worked.
Thanks again for everyones help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users