Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Firewall

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Blue2018

Blue2018

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 08 July 2010 - 11:55 AM

The firewall is turned off and it's grayed out in the security center so I can't even turn it on, what gives. BTW, I just removed Windows Live OneCare and installed Microsoft Security Essential......

How do I go about getting the firewall turned back on ????

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 09 July 2010 - 11:31 AM

Hello Blue2018, and :thumbsup: to BC.

Ok, the first thing I would try is run the OneCare Cleanup tool.

Note: To run this tool on Vista, right click the saved file and select Run as Administrator. Close all open programs (Browser etc.) before you run this tool

IMPORTANT: The OneCare Cleanup tool will uninstall or remove several components for MSE which will only be rectified by uninstalling and reinstalling MSE.

Reboot after running this tool and then try to turn on Windows Firewall. Start > Control Panel > [Security >] Windows Firewall.

If it still won't work, check the Windows Firewall service in running.

Click Start, type Services and click on corresponding result.

In the window that opens, look for the Windows Firewall service.

Posted Image

It should be Started and Startup Type should be Automatic.

If not, double click the Windows Firewall entry, which should bring up the window below.

Posted Image

Start the service, and set Startup Type to Automatic.

Click Apply > OK and Reboot your computer.

See if Windows Firewall is [or can be] now started.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users