Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error launching Class

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Live2Eng

Live2Eng

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 08 July 2010 - 09:25 AM

I get the following error in a pop up window:

Error launching Class hms.hms
with Java java\bin\javaw
Error=2

I use this computer for work, and deliberately do little web surfing in hopes of keeping it clean. I built the machine about a year ago and loaded verry little software not work related and rarely use them past the initial trying-out-the-new-machine stage. I use it mainly for CAD (drafting and deisgn) because it can handle larger files. I run a hydrology simulation program called hec-hms, version 3.4 which is the newest version. This program is developed and supported by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, however non-corps users are not supported by the corps. This program is widely used and there are many support forums for non-corps users. The error occurs when I start the program, but I suspect that the error is not specific to this program, but . . . what do I know? What I do know is that the error is new after many months of using this program daily, I also know that I uninstalled it, downloaded/reinstalled it anew from the USACE website without change.

The odd thing is that when searching this error, I only get one hit, which is for a forum submission with a similar problem. But there have been no responses to that post. I suspected perhaps a virus, but I would not get a virus on this machine unless it is somewhat common and therfore I expect to see some posts about it, again what do I know . . . my suspicions do not make it so.

I am hesitant to start running scans ad hoc, as my experience with such things is limited to XP and I do not know what difference Vista makes, and whether the Vista help out there always applies to the 64 bit version.

Of course, I need this machine working correctly, but just as importantly I need to limit the possibility that my machine is infecting files sent to clients et. al.

Calling all Gurus.

Edited by hamluis, 09 July 2010 - 12:52 PM.
Moved from Vista to Am I Infected forum ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 08 July 2010 - 11:19 AM

I would go here: http://www.java.com and get the latest up for your Java Runtime Environment.

#3 Live2Eng

Live2Eng
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2010 - 09:54 AM

Thanks for trying to help. Been there, done that, both the 32 and 64 bit versions. Also, I restored the system to a point at a couple of weeks ago when I know everything was humming.

A new twist, I opened Autocad Civil 3d this morning and got the following error:

FATAL ERROR: Unhandled e0434fdh Exception at 7632e124h

I used this application yesturday without glitch and it will not even start this morning. I'm thinking virus.

#4 Stanry

Stanry

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 06 September 2011 - 09:12 PM

I have the same error "Error launching Class .... =Error 2" using HEC 3.5 It ran OK 2 days ago, HEC files are intact/valid, may be a Java update or corruption - did you find a solution ? Am using XP 32 bit.

I have uninstalled/reinstalled HEC 3.5 but the error persists - have copied HEC files from backups when all ran OK and can open the files OK with HEC 2.2.2 however HEC 3.5 files are not able to be used with HEC 2.2.2 modelling software.

I would be grateful if you can assist .

#5 Live2Eng

Live2Eng
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2011 - 09:18 AM

I am sorry, but I never found a "solution" to this problem, although I no longer have the problem. I pulled an old XP machine out of moth balls and loaded the 3.4 version of HEC-HMS and used it until version 3.5 came out. Out of curiosity and fatigue over using multiple machines for modeling, I tried installing the new version on the Vista 64 machine. The new version has been working without problems since. I suspect that the previous version used java in a way incompatible with the latest java update at the time. I only suspect this as my trouble started after an automatic java update. The HEC stuff takes years to go from update conception to distribution, it will simply be out of date compared to windows and other private software, even when it is new. The agency personnel for which the software was intended and supported will almost certainly be using older machines, forbidden by security policy from allowing automatic updates as soon as they are available. . . They may have identified the problem before it was a problem for them, and simply avoided the update without "fixing" the problem. This is especially true given how soon the next update was available. Although my installation of the newer version corrected my problem, I get from your info that this is not going to help you much. I was unable to fix it at the time with a simple re-install. Part of the problem is that the HEC software is not commonly used in the way that Microsoft products are. This means that relatively few people are looking for solutions to compatibility problems. Indeed, this post was moved because one of the mediator's assumed my problem was more appropriate for the Do-I-Have-A-Virus threads. This might be true of nearly all machines, except business machines used by their owners to make a living who maintain separate machines for surfing, email, etc., specifically to avoid catching anything. I have had no other problems and have no reason to believe I have a virus.

I believe that some files are installed during the initial installation, that are not re-installed if HEC-HMS is re-installed. Perhaps it looks to see if the existing file, registry entry, etc. is at least as new as the one in the install routine or similar, with this same being changed or corrupted somehow. Maybe removing everything you can, then reverting to a pre-3.5 install condition, and then installing HEC_HMS would accomplish the same thing. I feel your pain. But, sadly all I can offer is encouragement. Please let me know how it turns out.

#6 ketaki

ketaki

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 12 December 2013 - 01:39 AM

Hello all,

am glad to have found this thread, since I am facing the same issue with version HMS 3.5, its the latest version and am running this on OS window 7 64 Bit. The reinstalling method doesnt work and upgrading is not a choice. so Kindly help if anyone has a solution to this. 

#7 rripken

rripken

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 11 August 2014 - 02:18 PM

I really doubt its a virus, something about the configuration has probably broken.

I didn't write HMS but I have developed code for some of the other HEC applications.  The applications utilize the same framework.  The EXE file HMS uses to start HMS reads the HEC-HMS.config file and uses the entries in the config file to configure and start a new Java process for HMS.

I just ran into this exact error today on another machine and debugged the problem more closely.  In my case the underlying cause of the error was that the config file didn't have an entry that explicitly configured the javapath.  When the javapath isn't explicitly configured the EXE is smart enough to ask the registry where java is installed at and tries to use that java.  This usually works great.  On the machine in question the PATH was configured to point at a valid java.exe but the registry pointed at an old JRE that was no longer present.

You can typically debug these HEC startup issues by calling HEC-HMS.exe from the command line with some options.

Try "HEC-HMS.exe -o",  it should create a file called javastarter.out.   If you open that file you'll see it contains the built command line that can be used to launch HMS. 

You try that command line from a DOS box and get a better idea why the application is no longer starting.

If the -o option doesn't work you can also try a -d option.  That should pop up a bunch of dialog boxes.  When you get to the command line box you should copy-paste the command line into a new file.   It may not look like its possible to copy paste from the dialog but if you click in it and do a ctrl-a ctrl-c and paste it into notepad you should find that you do get all the text.  

It might be four years late but hopefully this helps someone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users