Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The proccessor and chip i want!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Flex2slick

Flex2slick

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 08 July 2010 - 08:47 AM

here is the motherboard and proccessor i am going to buy, lemme know what you think, i see that there is one problem with the motherboard not recognizing certain proccessors, but i think the one i picked out isnt on that list!here is the mobo. should i get this motherboard and chip? i want top do alot of gaming.

this is the mobo

ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard

here is the proccessor

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ955FBGIBOX

one question thought, when i install the proccesor to the motherboard dont i need to add that lubricant inbetwen the proccessor and the heat sink? can you recomend a type to buy? i dont plan on overclocking it but you never know. also i believe the proccessor comes with a fan and heat sink, but do you think i should upgrade it? if i can not that would be best cause in trying to keep my costs low!

this is a review i saw at new egg, but i dont think this effects the proccessor i want.

Do Not Purchase W/ 965 125w (C3)
Reviewed By: Greg on 11/18/2009

Tech Level: high - Ownership: less than 1 day
This user purchased this item from Newegg
Pros: For those of you purchasing this board with one of the C2 (earlier) chips, this board has done fantastic in reviews. In fact, read the reviews on Newegg. For the most part, this board is a great overclocker and stable.
Cons: PLEASE READ: I've never given out a one egg before. Most of the time I think it's childish and you get reviews like "Did not POST, DOA, etc.", that make you want to flag the review as not being helpful. **This is very important** As of this past month (11/07), AMD released new revisions to their top line of processors (starting with the 965 125w). DO NOT PURCHASE THIS BOARD WITH THAT (OR ANY OTHER C3) PROCESSOR. AMD supports these chips in the most current version of the BIOS (v.2002). However, in order to flash your BIOS, you have to have another AM3 processor. The board will NOT boot at all with these new processors. This should be fixed in the next 6 months for this board. I say 6 months for the fact that it takes about that time for the new BIOS to be implemented into current shipments.
Other Thoughts: This is not a bad board. This is a respected, well built ASUS board that has great features. Not to mention the stellar price. Please don't purchase this board with a new AMD processor (Google C3 for a list of the new processors).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2010 - 10:18 AM

Supported CPU
CPU Socket Type AM3
CPU Type Phenom II / Athlon II / Sempron 100 Series
FSB 2600MHz Hyper Transport (5200 MT/s)
Chipsets
North Bridge AMD 790X
South Bridge AMD SB750

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ955FBGIBOX

not sure if the board has been updated since that review, this is a 125w chip - someone else might want to take a look, but it seems it works together to me..
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#3 Luke L

Luke L

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 08 July 2010 - 09:17 PM

Yes, you do have to apply thermal compound in between the cpu and the heatsink. Arctic Silver 5 is popular among lots of overclockers. However, if you end up going with the stock heatsink, it is likely to have the thermal compound pre-applied. The stock heatsink and stock thermal paste should work fine for you as long as you don't overclock. A lot of stock heat sinks are, however, noisy. If you have overclocking in mind, a good heatsink will keep your cpu cool and make you feel safer as it takes temps down 10 degrees Celsius in good case scenarios.

#4 RainbowSix

RainbowSix

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2010 - 09:23 PM

All stock heatsinks have pre-applied thermal compound. I believe the AMD warranty info states that you must use the stock heatsink or your warranty is void.
[ Antec 1200 v3 | Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 rev. 3.1 | AMD Phenom II x6 1090T (overclocked to 4GHz) | Corsair XMS3 4x4GB DDR3 1600 | COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600W & Visiontek Juice Box 450W | SAMSUNG 470 Series 64GB SSD | WD Caviar Black 640GB & Samsung Spinpoint 2TB HDD | 2x XFX Radeon HD 5770 in Crossfire | SAMSUNG 22X DVD±RW | Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit]

CompTIA A+ certified
Stringfellow Electronics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users