Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Laptop issue

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 CTSOL

CTSOL

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 08 July 2010 - 08:02 AM

I am working on a Dell inspiron 1525 laptop and diagnostics showed the 120gb hard drive was bad so I bought new 500gb hard drive, I have tried to re-install windows but when it gets to the install windows screen the message appears that there is no hard drive installed. I hooked up the hard drive to an adapter and formatted it and can see the drive. I also put the hard drive in a different dell computer and used the same windows cd and the install starts. I took a another hard drive out of a laptop and put it in the problem machine and I see the windows logo and windows loading and then get a blue screen but I think that is normal due to the drivers being different as they are different models of laptops. I did the dell diagnostics and everything is OK. The time and dates is not staying set in the bios but that should not be related, I do not see anything about the hard drive in the bios and I was wondering if there might be an issue of this laptop being incompatible with a larger hard drive? Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 08 July 2010 - 08:27 AM

when a mb fails partially, it is hard to tell. If no laptop drive is recognized, check the pins on the drive and the adapter (part of the caddy) and look for cold solder on the pins that connect to the MB. You may have to completely remove the mb to check the underside.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...en/SM/index.htm

#3 AustinTerry

AustinTerry

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 08 July 2010 - 10:26 AM

Is it a SATA hard drive that you working with?

And an old XP SP1 disc you are trying to use to re-install Windows, by chance?

Reason being... the older XP install discs did not come with SATA drivers, and you might have to install the drivers from a floppy first.

Edited by AustinTerry, 08 July 2010 - 10:29 AM.

#4 CTSOL

CTSOL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2010 - 01:05 PM

Yes it is a Sata drive and a windows XP sp 2 disk. the drive and disk work in another laptop.
The drive is seen in the bios.

#5 CompExpert

CompExpert

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 08 July 2010 - 01:09 PM

Yes it is a Sata drive and a windows XP sp 2 disk. the drive and disk work in another laptop.
The drive is seen in the bios.

Try finding a XP disc without any service packs, as it works with S-ATA drives, and then update the service pack first to SP3.
Keeping computers humming since 2010.

I'm back after a long long time! :D :D

#6 CTSOL

CTSOL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2010 - 01:16 PM

That did not work either same message "Setup did not find any hard drives installed on your computer"

#7 CompExpert

CompExpert

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2010 - 01:19 PM

OK.....
It could be the 500GB hard drive.
Some systems are not compatible with bigger drives. You may have to get a smaller, or a 120GB hard drive and try that.

In other words, try everything that's under the sun!

#8 CTSOL

CTSOL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2010 - 01:23 PM

Yes I thought about that but on the Dell forum they said it should work with a 500gb. hard drive. I have a 320 coming next week for a spare, Which I will try. The drive selection in my area is rather sparse.

#9 CompExpert

CompExpert

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2010 - 01:25 PM

Oh OK.

Good Luck!!

#10 CTSOL

CTSOL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2010 - 02:19 PM

I changed to sata settings in the BIOS from the default to ATA and it now works.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users