Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP running slow

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 brc2000

brc2000

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 08 July 2010 - 07:28 AM

I know that this is a common question here, but I really need some help. My computer has been running smoothly for the last couple of years without any hint of a problem. I never used the Windows Updates because I felt Kapersky Internet Security was more than enough, and it was. And though many people feel that the updates are important, I had absolutely no problems. In fact the reason that I stopped updates was because it had caused problems before on my older computer (when switching to SP2).

This computer was for the longest time on Service Pack 2. However, due of a recommendation by a friend and seeing that the service for SP2 stopped, I decided to finally upgrade to Service Pack 3. Things seemed to be running fine for the first day though the internet would freeze every five minutes or so. I didn't make much of it at the time. I let the updates run and install at shutdown.

The next day (yesterday), is when I began to notice problems. The computer was running fine, but the internet would just stop all of a sudden for around 30 seconds at random intervals. At first I thought that there was a problem with the internet (I live in Dubai, and such problems are common) or the router, but it was working fine on my laptop, which runs Windows 7. I was using Winamp radio and a bit torrent program that did not have any problems with the internet, but web pages wouldn't load sometimes on either IE, Firefox or the WinAmp browser. It was still somewhat usable so I didn't make to much of it at the time, but I ran SpyBot and used its registry tool as well. I also used disc cleanup and checked compress old files (could compressing the files have anything to do with it?). However all of a sudden the computer began running slowly. I thought it was because I had many programs running at the same time (Word, Winamp, Firefox (around 3 tabs open), BitLord, Kapersky and Adobe Acrobat). Indeed when I closed some of the programs the performance was better, and I thought it was ok. With only FireFox open, I started browsing various forums to see if SP3 affected the internet connections in any way. I tried various suggestions such as disabling the Windows Update and restarting certain other services, but it didn't help. I decided to turn off the computer, and thought to deal with it later. However as I closed Firefox and clicked on the start menu, I noticed that the computer was running very sluggish. I then hard booted the computer and when it restarted it took much longer than usual to start up. It was near unusable so I finally decided that it was time to revert back to SP2. I first tried to run it in Safe Mode but it wouldn't start. I started it normally again and even though it tok me nearly half and out I was finally able to open control panel and use System Restore (I created a restore point just before installing SP3 because I knew something like this was bound to happen)

After around an hour, the computer was restored and I was expecting it to work as well as it used to. However, it was still extremely sluggish. I guess the damage had already been done. I then hard booted again and this time tried using it in directory services restore mode and it was thankfully usable. I tried various things like checking the start up with msconfig, used Spybot and my antivirus, but there were no problems. There was nothing suspicious in Taskmanager either. I enabled all the services tht I'd previously disabled and even undid the registry changes done by Spybot, but still nothing. Also for some reason my computer would run a disk check on my D: drive everytime I restarted.

I very much doubt that it is a malware or virus program, since even though I'm no expert on computers, I'm not foolish enough to download suspicious files or visit dangerous websites. While a hardware problem isn't out of the question, it would be strange for it to start failing so soon after installing SP3. Also it runs perfectly fine in Directory Service Restore Mode (how I'm using it now), so it may be due to a certain application that doesn't start up in Safe Mode. Unfortunately it's using the computer normally is almost impossible, so I am unable to check.

Some info that might be useful:
- Windows XP Professional
- My computer's hard disk is partitioned into two drives: the C: drive which as XP intalled and currently 44.5/78.1 gb is used and the D: drive which i use as backup and to store larger files currently using 36 out of around 370 gb
-Reverted back to SP2
- 2.40-gHz
- 1.99 gb RAM
- Using Kapersky Internet Security (which isn't active in DSRM)
- Occasionally run SpyBot and Malwarebytes.
- I use wireless internet (2gb) and only one other computer connects to it.
- Nearly two years of use
- The fans make a noise occasionally but only when the room has been air conditioned for a while.
- Paging file size is 2046 MB (can't remember if it was always the case)
- Graphics card used is NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
- Probably not important but I also updated Java and WinAmp in the last few days (1024MB RAM)
- I haven't run any games or anything that would take a lot of RAM in at least a month.
- Direct X 9
- Apart from GT scheduler and some iTunes components, there is nothing on start up that could be a problem. (plus it used to work fine before so no need to suggest using msconfig for startup changes)
- The computer was running fine prior to SP3 installation.
- No manual tweaking done

Any suggestions as to what I can do to restore it previous functionality will be greatly appreciated. I expect that I'll have to reformat by drive, but I'm hoping someone here might have a better solution. I'll provide any additional info if needed. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 08 July 2010 - 08:47 AM

The restore point was a very good idea, seeing that it didnt work though..

What is the current version of the OS? From Start > Run, enter winver, click
OK.

A recovery disk might be able to fix the problems, perhaps the SP3 install was bad or missing data from a loss of internet temporarily due to your location, perhaps using a recovery disk on the SP2 to attempt to fix any issues, then use a wired connection to download SP3, and give that another go. As far as what actually went wrong, technically speaking, i dont know for sure.
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#3 brc2000

brc2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2010 - 09:44 AM

Thanks for replying.

The OS version is 5.1.

Unfortunately I don't have a recovery CD, as my computer was assembled from scratch and no CD was provided. If there's nothing else I can do I'm planning on buying WIndows 7 to install since I have copied all my important files on the D drive (and I'm in the process of transferring files to an external HD as well, just in case).[attachment=64667:Clipboard02.jpg]

#4 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2010 - 09:50 AM

O ok, well goodluck with that!
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 08 July 2010 - 11:32 AM

Are all your drivers updated?

#6 brc2000

brc2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2010 - 11:40 AM

Don't think so, but it may already be too late.

Ok here's another issue. I tried connecting my USB hard disk to the computer but to no avail. I guess all the drivers are shut down while in Directory Services Restore Mode. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Edited by brc2000, 08 July 2010 - 11:42 AM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 08 July 2010 - 12:00 PM

System manufacturer and model?

I would download SP3 from the network install site...and reinstall it from the desktop. And then install all critical updates from Windows Update.

Louis

#8 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2010 - 12:38 PM

Check This Out

Its a thread in this forum regarding SP2 - might interest you.
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#9 sbdblyss

sbdblyss

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 08 July 2010 - 12:46 PM

You mentioned that you used Spybot's registry tool. Did you delete everything that Spybot detected in the registry? It detects issues within the registry, but they are not always issues that are fixed by deletion. I am concerned that this may have made the problem worse. I have a few suggestions:

- If it is possible to borrow a Windows XP disk from someone, it would be good to run the System File Checker. Start->Run-> type "sfc /scannow" without quotes.
- If your system makes regular restore points, the registry is backed up each time. If Spybot did mess with the registry, it is possible to restore the registry from a system restore point that was created right after the SP3 install was finished. Hopefully one was created at that time. You would need to reinstall SP3, like hamluis suggested above, and then restore the registry from the restore point that was likely created when the first installation was finished. If you wan't detailed instructions, let me know. It's a shot in the dark :-/.

Here is a link to the SP3 download: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

Jake
My mind isn't quite sure what it has bargained for, but my heart is in time with, with the consistency of Your's.

#10 brc2000

brc2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2010 - 12:59 PM

System manufacturer and model?

I would download SP3 from the network install site...and reinstall it from the desktop. And then install all critical updates from Windows Update.

Louis

The computer was assembled at a shop (since my previous pre-assembled Acer computer was garbage), so it's not from a big company like Acer, Dell or anything like that.

I downloaded SP3 from here http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/windo...ice-pack-3.html. I didn't use the WIndows Update option since I had already unchecked the box and set to to not remind my about the update any more.

Anyway upon doing a disk check i found out that may files are unreadable, I think the damage is already done and my only option is to reinstall the system.

Another problem that just started a few hours ago is that sometimes there is no signal detected by my monitor and I have to keep restarting my PC until it is detected. SO maybe it might be a hardware problem as well.

@sbdblyss: I will try to get the installation disk from the place I got my computer tomorrow and try what you suggested.

@s1lents0ul: Yea, I checked out that thread (and many others) before installing SP3, because I had a feeling there would be problems.

Right now my main priority is transferring my files to my external hard drive, but I can't seem to get it detected in safe mode. So if anyone has any suggestions about how to get that done it would help a lot.

Edit: Nevermind the last part. I'll just transfer by files to my laptop (8gb by 8gb) using my USB and transfer it to the external HD from there.

Edited by brc2000, 08 July 2010 - 01:28 PM.

#11 sbdblyss

sbdblyss

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 08 July 2010 - 01:57 PM

I have one more suggestion. I had numerous issues with an XP system a few years back. I had overclocked the system and was installing windows XP while it was overclocked. When the system would finish, it had issues like you described above. Many Windows XP installs later, I realized that the overclocking was the problem. Check your clock speeds in the BIOS and make sure they are correct. Also, overclocking can cause the motherboard not to post, which will cause the monitor to remain in sleep mode and not detect the computer. If you can, simply access the BIOS on boot (usually F1 or DEL key) and restore the bios to default. It's worth a try. Good Luck!

Jake

Edit: One more thing. It could be that the hard drive is corrupting itself. If you could find out what brand the hard drive is, you could go to the manufacturer's website and download the diagnostic tool. This will tell you whether the drive is on it's way out or not.

Edited by sbdblyss, 08 July 2010 - 01:59 PM.

My mind isn't quite sure what it has bargained for, but my heart is in time with, with the consistency of Your's.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users